Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Placing Profiles

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Placing Profiles

thanks again, Steve;

that is probably the issue; I have Content 03.jpg but neither of the other two.
    Should I download something else to the Libraries, please, and if so, where from ?

regards
    Peter

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Each project has to load content if it isn't already in the template. The stock Autodesk Templates don't have much loaded. If you have the folders in the Content 03 you should have the files listed in Content 02. When you open the Structural Columns or Structural Framing folders using Windows Explorer what do you find? If the folders are empty then your content was not installed.

If you have an EyeTee department they may have stored the files elsewhere to share them with everyone. If you are the EyeTee department then you might not have installed everything. Visit THIS TOPIC if your folder is empty.

If you have files in the folder then you need to load them into your project. You do that on the Insert Ribbon > Load from Library panel > Load Family button. Browse to the folder with your content and select a file. Click open and then choose the size/types you want if a type catalog appears. Once you've done that you should find a family you can place in the model.

If you're familiar with AutoCAD it is not dissimilar to loading a block into a drawing. To place a block it has to be loaded first.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks again, Steve;

I will try that tomorrow, but I am not familiar with AutoCAD, except for making patterns using text files.
    I moved to Revit from ProReflex where all Libraries are loaded into every project, and the default object type is editable into every other;
    ie C Channel Default can be edited to any size C Channel, etc.

regards
    Peter

Login to Give a bone

Revit's templates are not optimized for everyone. The expectation is that an architect will configure their project template different than a structural engineer. As such each will have a different collection of content requirements. I see no reason why they couldn't load at least a few types of every structural shape other than deciding to do it. For each customer that would be pleased they did there would be a number who complain they never use MC channels and resent deleting them...

Have you seen this Wikipedia entry on Reflex and its very slight relationship to Revit?

Login to Give a bone

Hello, Steve;

my understanding of how ProReflex worked was that all the model did was link to the libraries, so if you didn't try to use the Structural Sections, you wouldn't even see them. However, if you were sure you didn't want Structure and MEP, you wouldn't load the reference file, but Architects use all the Structural and MEP objects required for a building, so at least having the editable default allowed you to use them without searching too hard for specific configurations, which could easily be an editable option if you happened to know it. Having thousands of files and options to select between was always the difficulty with both ArchiCAD and AutoCAD, so it's a pity to see Revit going the same way.

Anyway, back to the solution, your link suggests that I should uninstall the existing Revit Libraries and reload them. Will that lose all the refinements I have made, please, or will those have been saved under each project separately ? I would have preferred to merge the existing libraries with the new so that I keep as much as possible. Also the link refers to Revit alone, whereas I have Revit-LT.

thankyou
    Peter
    Last edited by peterdew; 2019-01-08 at 03:07 AM. Reason: refinement having searched the link

Login to Give a bone

We load a family and types, that's a definition of the family. We can place 1 or 1,000 instances of a family type but they all reference the definition of the type, a one to many database record/relationship. Let's say I want to have three W shape steel beam sizes. There are hundreds defined in the family's type catalog but I can just load the three I really need. A Revit project doesn't have thousand of files, there is just one project file typically, per discipline but that has as much to do with how businesses are organized as anything to do with Revit. A Revit model could contain all the disciplines work ... or not.

There are many thousands of families (like a block or Sketch Up Component) (some from Autodesk and many others from other users/providers) which represent discreet elements that are part of a building and what is required to created a model and derive a set of documents from it. Only the families the project actually needs truly need to be loaded into the project however.

If your content folders are actually empty then you'll need to install them to get the content you're missing. I don't recommend storing our own families in the same folders with the stock content because each release has its own content and I don't want to have to figure out how to identify my own when something like you're dealing with happens.

Revit LT content is mostly the same as for Revit but some of the content related to features that it (LT) doesn't include is excluded. No harm if you end up with some of that content in the process though.

Login to Give a bone

Sorry to bother you again,

but I can't find a Section Line and tags on a Plan where I can see 2 others, and the 3rd appears on the Drawing Sheet as it should.
    I have tried finding hidden elements, un-cropping and resetting views and view depths to unlimited, all without success.
    Is there a recommended way of finding them, please ?

I also tried to start this as a new thread, again without success, a bad day all round.

Thankyou and regards
    Peter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12