See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: onedrive

Login to Give a bone

Default onedrive

Hi All

I am trying to come to terms with the 21st century and load my APJ project folders and the sub-folders containing the dwg files to Microsoft One drive.
    I am hoping that I can access the files on any computer with auto cad architecture installed and make changes to the drawings as required and save them back to One drive so that I have the latest revision when and where ever I open the files.

Has any one done this ?

I am completely lost with this cloud stuff and any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I used to use A360 desktop and that just worked fine but alas its has gone the way of the Dodo

regards John

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: onedrive

OneDrive has a desktop app that works the same way A360 used to. It comes with Windows 10. Just sign in. For win7, download here. There are also apps for your smartphone.

Just keep in mind that if you're accessing from multiple pc's, the last one who saves the file overwrites everyone else's changes. But the good new is that you can access any version using the online app.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Ed
    I have already downloaded the one drive app and copied all the folders from auto desk my projects folder to the one drive folder on the computer This then synced with the cloud and the task bar icon told me that One drive was up to date, this was about one year ago, but didn't check it until I need it a few weeks ago assuming that all was working as I imagined.

When I tried to access a file on another computer a few weeks ago I found the Auto desk folder on One drive. Inside was the "my projects" folder which contained only the project folders that were current in may last year and none of the new ones. Fortunately the project I was looking for was an old one and the folder for the project was there.

I opened the folder to find the "constructs" folder and upon opening this I found that the folder was empty. There were no DWG files in the folder.

Obviously its some thing that I have set up wrong, since none of the project folders have updated since I originally set up One drive in May 2018 and all of the folders are empty.
    There are no DWG files in the constructs, element, or view folders, and no dwg or pdf files in the sheets folder.

I have since checked the other folders containing documents PDF's etc and again none of those have updated since May last year which is odd as The icon on my Task bar confirms that One drive is up to Date every time I turn on the computer.
    I have a feeling that I am not saving changes to the correct folder on my computer.
    Currently all my folders and files are held on a hard drive (which I was taking with me to jobs so that I had all my information with me) and I am sure that this drive is supposed to be automatically copied into the one drive folder which then syncs with the cloud.
    When I checked the auto desk folder on the computer One drive folder it to contained all the folders and sub folders but again no files in the folders.

The One drive in the cloud has exactly the same information as the one drive folder on my computer, but the one drive folder on my computer has not been updating with the changes made to the original folders on the hard drive.
    do I have to copy and paste the all the folders from the hard drive to the one drive folder on my computer every time I update a file?

Please let me know if you can help.
    Thanks again for your reply
    Last edited by john_ehds; 2019-01-16 at 08:44 AM.

Login to Give a bone

The idea behind OneDrive is that you should be using its folders instead of where you are storing your projects currently. The default location when ACA installs is in My Documents. All you have to do is move your project folder to OneDrive. OneDrive will take care of copying to the cloud. The problem is that you are not currently using OneDrive as your active work area. Move, not copy, your files to the OneDrive folder, then in ACA, use the Project Browser to open the project from the new location.

If you need to have the external hard drive as your main project folder area, then you can change the location of OneDrive to be on the external hard drive. By default, OneDrive sets the location of its main folder to be C:\Users\username\OneDrive. You can change this in the OneDrive settings. Go to the Account tab and click on Unlink the PC, then link it again pointing to the folder on the external drive. The files will be synced to the cloud when you get back to the office and reconnect to the internet.
    C:> ED WORKING....