Thread: CAD-like modeling request

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default CAD-like modeling request

I've downloaded Anim8tor, Blender and even gmax to make the model, but that's where I get stuck. (I also downloaded orbiter shipyard, mesh wizard 1.9, spacecraft 3, etc but first I need a model to use them on.)
    The problem mainly lies in the lack of accurate dimensions. I've had experience with CAD programs like AutoCAD and Inventor where you can easily define exact lengths and angles, whereas in Blender or Anim8tor, you pretty much have to model freehand or with a pixelated line drawing as a guide. I simply can't cope with that. I need exact dimensions to make an accurate model. Gmax keeps this in check somewhat, as you can input dimensions, but there are major modeling features missing that you would only find (I'd imagine) in a CAD program, like the "Loft through profiles" command, which is needed to make an accurate aerofoil (which I wish to do.)

In Inventor, you can actually export a model to .3ds format which I would do...except I don't own Inventor and it costs a lot. I've gone looking and I simply cannot find a free 3d modelling program that allows you to enter exact dimensions like you would in a CAD program, aside from gmax.
    Does anyone know where I can find a free, CAD-like 3D modelling program that I can input accurate, numerical dimensions, and then export or save it to a .3ds format, or any format which I can then convert into a .msh - or am I seriously asking for too much?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: CAD-like modeling request

Autodesk Fusion 360.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

BricsCAD Shape. Totally free. .dwg native file format.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

For numerical input in Blender, you can just use the keyboard shortcuts for your actions, then type in the amount.
    The key commands are:
    -g-rab (translate)
    -r-otate
    -s-cale

You can choose an axis to manipulate on by typing it: X, Y, Z.
    Then, just type the amount.
    So, to translate something 0.35 units on the X axis, select it and press G, X, 0.35.
    When scaling, the numerical value is the multiple of current size, i.e. 1 is no change. Rotation is in degrees, but you might be able to switch it to radians somehow if you need to.

For more advanced freehand manipulation, pressing these buttons also lets you use the mouse to manipulate, without having to click/drag. You can still lock to an axis. You can also lock to two axises at once, by excluding one with Shift-(axis). So, to move on X and Y: hit G, Shift-Z. When freehanding, you can hold Ctrl to snap to the grid at whatever smallest scale is currently visible, and you can hold Shift to reduce the effect of your mouse movements for greater accuracy.

If you want to enter a definite global position instead of typing in a relative manipulation, press n in the 3D view to bring up a little properties window that displays/edits such things.

Once you get used to it, Blender does pretty much whatever you want with little hassle. It's learning curve is steep at first, but flattens out fairly quick. Especially if all you're doing is modeling.

That said, things like a CAD system's auto-redimensioning aren't present, though depending on what exactly you're trying to do it can be emulated.

It's also worth mentioning that Blender can import a DXF file. Also, won't AutoCAD export an OBJ? You could do most of your work in CAD, then bring it into Blender for texturing and materials. There also appear to be some scripts available that add CAD functionality to Blender, I'm investigating that now and I'll let you know what I find.

EDIT:
    Okay, I've found a couple different script resources. One will allow you to manually set the length or angle of an edge/edge pair, the other appears to have several tools but I don't see a manual and the buttons seem ambiguous to me. Perhaps they'd make sense to you, as they're probably based of their CAD equivalent. However, neither of the download pages seem to be working at the moment.....
    I've also seen references to a complete CAD toolset/CAD version of Blender, but it looks as though the project died. Sorry.
    You are welcome.