See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Template

Login to Give a bone

Default Template

Fellow users...I am putting together a proposal to create a detailed template for a new firm and I'm about to ask a very difficult yet simple answer regarding Civil 3D template, looking for people's input so I have a general idea of time...

How long did it take to create your template?

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Template

First you're going to need standards. Using local commonly accepted standards make this a lot easier if available. In Florida our Dept of Transportation is the best place to start. We use their FDOT.stb.
    For fonts I'd recommend a TTF that's easily readable while not taking up more space than necessary like Swiss721 Lt BT or Arial Narrow that allow more information to be displayed on each sheet.

Second you're going to need title block or layouts with borders that are acceptable for every agency you submit drawings to for permitting. For various local and state agencies we need different sizes.

For your default template the _Autodesk Civil 3D (Imperial) NCS.dwt out the box is the best place to start. Try to use layers already in there as much as possible since there's a lot already and they're set to US National CAD Standards. Using those layer standards is recommended, they also make Layer Properties Filters simple to add. You will still need to modify the layers to work with whatever STB or CTB you use. The most time consuming part of this will be all the Point and Label Styles as well as Description Key Sets. Having several Layer States in that template so users can quickly switch from displaying every point used to create linework or a surface while checking for errors to only what's needed for your finished drawings.

With the title block or layouts with borders you decide on you will also need Section, Plan and Profile, Plan, and Profile templates as well.

Working out all the kinks it shouldn't take more than the rest of your life.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by joelackland699513 View Post
    How long did it take to create your template?
    That's like asking how long does it take to drive from Memphis to San Diego?
    Depends on many, many factors.

I'd suggest the answer in infinite. The template is a living document, always being updated as changes, additions, or deletions are needed.

Besides that, what @Tom said above.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

We created our initial template for the 2009 version. I did not keep very close track of the time spent but I would estimate around 200 hours between me and one other employee. The pipe networks were another 60+ hours. Since this was the 2009 version we did not have to create styles for many of the C3D objects in today's version.

As mentioned above this is a living document. Immediately after implementation we were revising the template to fix errors and add things that were overlooked in the initial roll out. That work subsided after a couple of months and now we mostly update it for new C3D versions.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Just to echo what everyone else is saying...hard to say based on what your firm is doing. If you wanted someone to reasonable ballpark it for you I think they'd have to know what all you're being required to set up. I have spent a pretty good chunk of time recreating ours, and continue to tweak it periodically. As others have said it's a living document. You are never done with it.