Thread: Has Anyone had any experience using the iConstruct's Clash Manager?

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Question Has Anyone had any experience using the iConstruct's Clash Manager?

I've often just grouped clashes with Navisworks myself, however I have been watching some iConstruct clash manager videos and have been impressed with some of the capabilities. I do want to gather some intel on the results of the software.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Has Anyone had any experience using the iConstruct's Clash Manager?

I just tried out their free trial - it is not intuitive or user friendly... but it has a high ceiling of potential.

The $10 Group Clashes app in the Autodesk App Store is the cheapest solution to group clashes and gives you some flexibility to how the clashes are goint to be organized/grouped.

For the same price as iConstruct is the less robust, but far more user-friendly and intuitive Sherlock by Flypaper. It doesn't rename your clash groups but it does do a good job reducing the number of items you have to review. plus - it has a couple fun and simple features - the Heat map (showing you your top 10 areas of the model with the most clashes in concentration) and the "orient in plan" right click - which lets you immediately zoom out to a full building plan view, and superimposes a big red arrow pointing to whatever element you were selecting when you activated the orient tool. Then a simple shift+esc click gets you right back where you were - zoomed into the selected item.

We are also about to test out BIM Track next week and see how that could streamline our coordiation efforts.

Login to Give a bone

Here are clips from both iConstruct and Sherlock, iConstruct seems to make you jump through more hoops to get to the same result, and they have a bit of an unclear pricing structure.

youtube_share;ZZSivOCJviA]https://youtu.be/ZZSivOCJviA

youtube_share;hSTcAz5k0Gw]https://youtu.be/hSTcAz5k0Gw

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

We ended up using iConstruct for a trial period, because we had someone recommend it that was impressed with the clash detection tools. The more I learned how to use it for clash detection, I was able to take an 8ish hour job of 2k clashes, and get it down to 2 or so hours. It did take a lot of learning to figure out how to structure it, even following the written and youtube guides.
    I tried for the bim tracking and other functions people use it for as well, but it required more of a company/project wide effort to be effective. It was useful, but to really use those tools would be a big effort to get everyone on the same page, and I was really more into figuring out how to make the perfect clash in 10 clicks or less while I had the trial.
    So yes, it looks like alot of steps to get the same result, but that's only the first couple of times you tinker with clash. After learning more each clash detection, I at least noticed that I was saving an immense amount of time.