Thread: autocad drawing templates

Login to Give a bone

Talking autocad drawing templates

Hello, have been used the vanilla autocad so many years and trying to start using autocad architecture for BIM. Being a small architecture office, we don't have a CAD manager on board. The out of box ACA does not seem to have enough real world wall types, door and window and other elements that I can use. is there kind of drawing templates that I can get or should I customize everything from the scratch? can anybody help?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: autocad drawing templates

What content have you installed? What AutoCAD profile are you using?

The Global content does not include a lot of styles, but the US Imperial and US Metric content have four source files for Wall Styles (Brick, CMU, Concrete and Stud) with many styles in each (plus a fifth file in which Wall Styles are used to model casework). Depending upon where you are located, there may be localized content that parallels typical needs in your area.

That said, it is unlikely that the out-of-the-box content will have everything you need (or have it set up the way you want). Knowing how to create and modify (copies of) styles is a skill worth acquiring, and will result in content that better aligns with your needs.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch View Post
    What content have you installed? What AutoCAD profile are you using?

The Global content does not include a lot of styles, but the US Imperial and US Metric content have four source files for Wall Styles (Brick, CMU, Concrete and Stud) with many styles in each (plus a fifth file in which Wall Styles are used to model casework). Depending upon where you are located, there may be localized content that parallels typical needs in your area.

That said, it is unlikely that the out-of-the-box content will have everything you need (or have it set up the way you want). Knowing how to create and modify (copies of) styles is a skill worth acquiring, and will result in content that better aligns with your needs.
    thank you, dkoch. I should have said autocad architecture drawing templates.. I am in US and I used 'AEC medel (imperial ctb).dwt as the template and you are right, there's not whole a lot I can use without modifying.. I was wondering if there's any template files which contains real world elements that I can use since I don't have an access to a CAD manager who can develop them for me..

Login to Give a bone

Make a copy of the Aec Model (Imperial Ctb).dwt under a name of your own choosing (to make it obvious it is your customized version, and so that it does not get overwritten should you need to do a reinstall of the software), and then load it up with whatever you feel appropriate.

Have a look at the out-of-the-box Styles files; default installation location is here: C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ACA 2020\enu\Styles\Imperial. If you have do not have any standard content currently, starting with the content provided out-of-the-box is a good starting point, as it works with the out-of-the-box display system, etc.