See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Convert CTB to PC3?

Login to Give a bone

Default Convert CTB to PC3?

Hello,
    Im looking to utilize the publish tool for plotting entire sheet sets. Have typically been plotting each sheet to PDF using a ctb file and PDF995. However, when using Publish with Publish to: "Plotter named in page setup" (.ctb) Each plotted sheet is prompted for a file name. And if I have Publish to:"Plotter named in page setup" selected, I cannot modify Publish Options (greyed out). I can select Publish to PDF with these are with PDF Presets (AutoCAD PDF or DWG to PDF) and allows me to uncheck "Prompt for name" within Publish options, but these plot with an different apprearance/file size which is not desired. These PDF presets are all PC3 files. So, is it possible to convert ctb to pc3, or a way to use my PDF995 but able to uncheck "Prompt for name"

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Convert CTB to PC3?

CTB files are not the same thing as PC3 files. CTB files are pen settings, whereas PC3 files are plotter configuration files. You can try to change the setting to prompt for filename to be off in the PDF995 Windows "printer", but that is likely undesirable for other applications printing to the same "printer". You really do need to edit the PC3 file.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

Login to Give a bone

Aha!
    Well I was a little confused before, don't know why I was talking about .ctbs
    I am very close but not there yet. So I mapped a new .pc3 file using the Add-A-Plotter Wizard which found my PDF995 plotter just fine. However, The new .pc3 does not show up in the PDF Preset dropdown list. I know its in the correct directory because I renamed a couple (e.g. AutoCAD PDF (Smallest File)1 and that change showd up in the PDF Preset dropdown list. But there are several PC3s which are in the directory and not in the list. I removed DWG To PDF from the directory and it was removed from the dropdown list as expected. I tried to rename PDF995 to DWG To PDF and it still didn't show up. Tried closing Cad and even rebooting to no avail. Cannot get those newly mapped PC3s to get in the dropdown list.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks!
    pc3.PNG
    Last edited by Sterling2017; 2019-05-15 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Add image

Login to Give a bone

short answer, nope.

slightly longer answer is that those items in the preset list are hardwired into the program and not available for user modification.

Login to Give a bone

Well, you can actually make a copy of the PC3 found within the list and make edits to it, or alternatively edit one of existing and Save As and these show up as new items within the list. But it seems you cannot otherwise introduce new ones into the list. Current solution is to just use the DWG to PDF, then Print again with PDF995.
    Its just really annoying the DWG to PDF creates popups within the PDF where text is recognized (event with box check to "Convert all text to geometry" within Custom Properties of Plotter Configuration Editor.

If I do end up finding a solution I will post an update here.
    Thanks yall.
    Last edited by Sterling2017; 2019-05-16 at 05:46 PM.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Each to their own, I prefer the way DWG To PDF saves the text by default. It reduces the PDF file size and maintains searchable text in the original font.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling2017 View Post
    Its just really annoying the DWG to PDF creates popups within the PDF where text is recognized (event with box check to "Convert all text to geometry" within Custom Properties of Plotter Configuration Editor. ...
    Have you looked at the EPDFSHX setvar? It sounds like you are not like the comments in the PDF from using .shx fonts.

"Controls whether text objects using SHX fonts are stored in PDF files as comments when you export a drawing as a PDF file.

Because text that uses SHX fonts is not supported in PDF, drawings that are exported as PDF files can store this text as comments labeled "AutoCAD SHX Text." The intent is to preserve the text from the drawing. However, some older PDF viewers display these comments in the drawing along with any other comments, which is usually not desirable.

Value Description
    0 Ignores SHX text when exporting a PDF file
    1 Creates comments from text objects that use SHX fonts"