Thread: Creating panoramas for use on Facebook - SOLVED!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Creating panoramas for use on Facebook - SOLVED!

I posted this to the Revit Architecture - General forum, but nobody seemed too impressed, so I thought I'd share it here, as well. The question was how to create images that Facebook would interpret and display as 360-degree panoramas.

This turns out to be pretty straightforward:

1) On the online My Renderings page, select a panorama and use the "Download Pano as Equirectangular" option. This will yield a ZIP file containing seven files (HTML, JPG, PNG, etc.), but all we are interested in for Facebook are image.jpg and image.png.

2) The image.jpg file is compressed and doesn't look that great when you open the panorama in an enlarged view on FB, so I open the PNG in Photoshop and save it as a JPG with the least amount of compression. I find that a 2046-pixel pano looks fine on a 21-inch monitor; the smaller ones are not as crisp as I like.

3) Anyway, with an equilateral JPG in hand, head on over to www.thEXIFer.net to add the metadata that will tell Facebook that this is a 360-degree photo. Drag your image onto the (free) site's landing zone, and click on the EXIF.me button.

4) The ONLY metadata you need to add to a JPG are in the first two fields of the first screen of data. For Make enter "Ricoh" and for Model enter "Theta S"
    ricoh.PNG

5) Click on the Go.eXifing button at the bottom of the page, download the resulting file, and post it to Facebook, which will realize from the camera model that this is an equirectangular panorama.

That's it.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Creating panoramas for use on Facebook - SOLVED!

I now find that you can skip the whole thEXIFer.net route and edit the EXIF properties directly in File Explorer. Who knew? Right-click on the filename of the equirectangular JPG, select Properties, and under the Details tab scroll down to the Camera section. As above, change the Camera Maker to "Ricoh" and Camera Model to "Theta S"

EXIF properties.PNG

Couldn't be easier.