See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Daylighting a Feature Line to a Surface

Login to Give a bone

Default Daylighting a Feature Line to a Surface

I'm a beginner at Civil3D, and am taking my first hack at grading tools. My project involves modifying an existing channel by excavating it wider and deeper. I have created feature lines for each proposed toe of the new channel at the desired elevation(s). I need to grade a 4:1 slope from one side outward until it daylights to the existing surface, and I need a 3:1 slope on the other side. I've hit a wall at this point when trying to use the grading tools to create the slopes. Can anyone help me, or if too lengthy to explain, direct me to a step by step tutorial or video? Many thanks in advance.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Daylighting a Feature Line to a Surface

You might find it easier to use a Corridor assembly with a Surface target for this, but that too can still be cumbersome.

If your firm is open to using SincPac C3D (3rd party tools), you could save a lot of billable time instead using the SPQUICKDAYLIGHT Command.

HTH
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon Wells View Post
    I'm a beginner at Civil3D, and am taking my first hack at grading tools. My project involves modifying an existing channel by excavating it wider and deeper. I have created feature lines for each proposed toe of the new channel at the desired elevation(s). I need to grade a 4:1 slope from one side outward until it daylights to the existing surface, and I need a 3:1 slope on the other side. I've hit a wall at this point when trying to use the grading tools to create the slopes. Can anyone help me, or if too lengthy to explain, direct me to a step by step tutorial or video? Many thanks in advance.
    HI
    there is nothing here that is really that difficult. Sounds like you've started right. There are several videos on youtube just do a Civil3D grading object search. I would just go to grading objects, edit a style to grade to existing surface at you the slope you want and way you go.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you BlackBox and remi678731