See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: TO XREF OR NOT TO XREF

Login to Give a bone

Default TO XREF OR NOT TO XREF

For years I have used external references in architectural and interior design projects. I typically create a demolition plan (save as, and rename the existing plan). I then use this as an xref for the new work plan. I have aec object styles for items to be demolished (walls/doors/windows, etc.) and generic existing wall style with variable width properties (just shrink wrap boundary, no hatching). I open a new drawing file to be the new architectural plan and xref the demolition plan. I then draw new construction. I the demolition plan file, I xref the new work file. I then go back and forth between the files and develop both the new plan and the demolition plan at the same time. By keeping files separate, I can retain aec objects and speed up editing, I don't have to utilize a single file with separate layers for existing items to remain, existing items to be removed, and new items. Everything is isolated in it's own file. Layers can be controlled and isolated.
    Lately I have had coworkers request/require that I no longer use a demolition plan as an overlay in the new work drawings file. They want all items (existing/demolition and new in a single file) To do this you must eliminate aec objects that corrolate to items to be demolished. The objects must be exploded to vectors and then place on an additional layer for existing of demolished items. The argument seems to be that this creates less external references to manage during construction document development. and when sending files to consultants we are able to send less files. Can anybody offer me any support for one process over the other?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: TO XREF OR NOT TO XREF

Quote Originally Posted by jrb63 View Post
    For years I have used external references in architectural and interior design projects. I typically create a demolition plan (save as, and rename the existing plan). I then use this as an xref for the new work plan. I have aec object styles for items to be demolished (walls/doors/windows, etc.) and generic existing wall style with variable width properties (just shrink wrap boundary, no hatching). I open a new drawing file to be the new architectural plan and xref the demolition plan. I then draw new construction. I the demolition plan file, I xref the new work file. I then go back and forth between the files and develop both the new plan and the demolition plan at the same time. By keeping files separate, I can retain aec objects and speed up editing, I don't have to utilize a single file with separate layers for existing items to remain, existing items to be removed, and new items. Everything is isolated in it's own file. Layers can be controlled and isolated.
    Lately I have had coworkers request/require that I no longer use a demolition plan as an overlay in the new work drawings file. They want all items (existing/demolition and new in a single file) To do this you must eliminate aec objects that corrolate to items to be demolished. The objects must be exploded to vectors and then place on an additional layer for existing of demolished items. The argument seems to be that this creates less external references to manage during construction document development. and when sending files to consultants we are able to send less files. Can anybody offer me any support for one process over the other?
    Why do you have to explode demolished AEC objects? If Wall Cleanup is the issue, use different Wall Cleanup Group Definitions for Existing to Remain, Demolition and New. If you use Location properties, then Spaces will not want to overlap, however. In the past, I have dealt with that by either putting the Spaces that are being removed in a separate external reference, when I already had Spaced that filled the entire room, or, if I had no need to track the area of existing and demolished Spaces, by using small (usually 1'-0" square) Spaces for existing and demolition Spaces.

You would still need separate layers for existing, demolished and new work items.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: TO XREF OR NOT TO XREF

Wall clean up IS the issue. I will have to get an understanding of Cleanup Group Definitions. I have not used them before. I'm not sure any body in the office has either. My desire is to be able to keep the AEC objects in tact for ease of editing. We do not use location properties at this time. Thanks for the direction!