For years I have used external references in architectural and interior design projects. I typically create a demolition plan (save as, and rename the existing plan). I then use this as an xref for the new work plan. I have aec object styles for items to be demolished (walls/doors/windows, etc.) and generic existing wall style with variable width properties (just shrink wrap boundary, no hatching). I open a new drawing file to be the new architectural plan and xref the demolition plan. I then draw new construction. I the demolition plan file, I xref the new work file. I then go back and forth between the files and develop both the new plan and the demolition plan at the same time. By keeping files separate, I can retain aec objects and speed up editing, I don't have to utilize a single file with separate layers for existing items to remain, existing items to be removed, and new items. Everything is isolated in it's own file. Layers can be controlled and isolated.
Lately I have had coworkers request/require that I no longer use a demolition plan as an overlay in the new work drawings file. They want all items (existing/demolition and new in a single file) To do this you must eliminate aec objects that corrolate to items to be demolished. The objects must be exploded to vectors and then place on an additional layer for existing of demolished items. The argument seems to be that this creates less external references to manage during construction document development. and when sending files to consultants we are able to send less files. Can anybody offer me any support for one process over the other?