See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: ACAD C3D 2018 - Showing Two Networks in One Profile/Merging Networks

Login to Give a bone

Question ACAD C3D 2018 - Showing Two Networks in One Profile/Merging Networks

Hi there!

I was wondering if there is a simple way to show profile with a pipe alignment that goes from a proposed pipe that connects to an existing pipe. I would like to show a profile including the proposed pipe and the existing pipe in the same profile. I know that when creating a pipe profile you can only show one pipe network at a time. Someone had recommended to me to merge the networks (proposed and existing pipes), but also warned me that it can be tricky. I have a network of all the existing pipes and one with proposed pipes, plus a network of demo pipes, and have worked hard to get them to where they are - I am afraid to mess with them. I have created the alignment That is shown in my profile to include the entire length of the pipe- proposed and existing.

I have attached two images: The Plan view shows the Teal colored Proposed pipe leaving the manhole (that has not been created yet), and tying into the Pink existing Steam Pipe. In the Profile view, I am able to show the existing pink steam pipe, but the teal colored proposed pipe doesn't show up. Forgive the pipe leaving the ground and the unfinished nature of the profile image, I have yet to fix my inverts. I thought I would try to trick it by right-clicking the "Profile View Properties," going to "Pipe Networks" tab and hoping I could show it this way. I know that if you do not specify to show a pipe as a crossing pipe, it looks like a regular pipe in the ground. I have it checked in the Pipe Networks/ Show Only Crossing Pipes, and no matter how I check it/uncheck it, it refuses to be seen.

I have been using ACAD C3D for a while now, but have yet to show a proposed pipe tying into an existing pipe scenario before using C3D.
    The file is rather large, so don't think uploading is an option.

I need to be able to show that the pipe is Existing and Proposed - I suppose I could just use labels to differentiate, but I think it needs to be legit from A to Z. Client is NASA.

Your help is appreciated!

Michelle

Plan View 052119.JPGProfile 052119.JPG

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: ACAD C3D 2018 - Showing Two Networks in One Profile/Merging Networks

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleHood13 View Post
    ..... I know that when creating a pipe profile you can only show one pipe network at a time.

What makes you think that? You can profile multiple pipe networks in the same profile view. Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant by that?

R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: ACAD C3D 2018 - Showing Two Networks in One Profile/Merging Networks

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    What makes you think that? You can profile multiple pipe networks in the same profile view. Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant by that?

I am at a loss- I suppose I misunderstood about profiling two different networks in the same alignment, but I definitely cannot get my pipes from two different networks to show up in the same profile.
    Even with checking the Proposed Steam pipe (in Profile View Properties), it still will not show up in the profile- which is weird because it is in line with my alignment.

In your image- are the pipes of different colors on the same alignment? And are they different networks? And did you merge networks or are they two different ones?
    I have two networks, one alignment. Maybe I need to rethink my methods?

I tried looking up an answer on Autodesk, but the video for "merging networks" was actually for "splitting networks." And honestly I am worried if I merge them it may mess up other things.
    I suppose I could try it on a copy of the file, but will try a few other things first. Just not sure what else I can do to make it appear.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleHood13 View Post
    I am at a loss- I suppose I misunderstood about profiling two different networks in the same alignment, but I definitely cannot get my pipes from two different networks to show up in the same profile.
    Even with checking the Proposed Steam pipe (in Profile View Properties), it still will not show up in the profile- which is weird because it is in line with my alignment.

In your image- are the pipes of different colors on the same alignment? And are they different networks? And did you merge networks or are they two different ones?
    I have two networks, one alignment. Maybe I need to rethink my methods?

I tried looking up an answer on Autodesk, but the video for "merging networks" was actually for "splitting networks." And honestly I am worried if I merge them it may mess up other things.
    I suppose I could try it on a copy of the file, but will try a few other things first. Just not sure what else I can do to make it appear.
    That is two pipe networks, one alignment.
    No merging, no splitting, etc.

Having said that, I used to have "proposed" and "existing" parts in the same, single pipe network, with different styles used to differentiate the two.

Have you checked the Profile View Properties, on the Pipe Networks tab? There is no reason two networks can't appear. Perhaps the parts are simply not drawn (in the profile view)?

Login to Give a bone

So do you have one parts catalog, and use layer control to set styles (Existing, Proposed, Demo)- maybe this is where I went wrong.
    I had everything on individual networks.

Profile View Properties was the first thing I checked. Tried several times to get it to show. They refused to do so.

I have finally added in a STEAM pipe segment, and set the style accordingly- so in my attached image, I have set the proposed pipe blue arrow to cyan, and the others on the same network, existing style are pink.
    That seems to have done the trick.

Thank you.

Plan and Profile 052219.JPG

Login to Give a bone

Yes, one parts catalog.

Thanks for confirming you got it.

I moved this thread to the C3D forum, it was started in a non-technical forum. Just in case you had a bookmark to the old location.