Thread: How to display walls below floors with hidden linetype?

Login to Give a bone

Default How to display walls below floors with hidden linetype?

Hi, I am currently working on a structural model, in Revit '19, for a theater that contains a linked architectural model. All of the walls and floors are contained within the linked model. My structural model contains only structural elements.

I need to be able to see the walls below the upper level floors in plan view, preferably in a 'hidden' linetype, while also displaying the walls above/not obscured by floors as usual.

My plan view visual style is currently set to 'hidden lines' and the arch. linked model is set to 'underlay'.

I've attached a couple of screenshots for example. As they show, if I set the floor transparency to zero the walls below the floors are obscured, as expected. If I set the floor transparency to 100, the walls display but are solid lines that are not distinguishable from the walls that are not under floors. If I set floors to 50% transparency, all of the walls below my view range cut plane changing to a light gray.

What I need to see is basically exactly what the zero transparency screenshot shows, except instead of Revit making the wall lines under the floor invisible, I need it to make them hidden.

On previous projects the only real options that sorta work are using the linework tool to force each and every wall line to display the way I want (waaaaay too tedious for dozens of walls in dozens of plans), or simply changing the visual style to wireframe (lots of extraneous lines to clean up and hide). Other tools such as the 'show hidden lines' function don't appear to apply to elements in linked models.

Is Revit capable of doing what I am asking? Can anyone enlighten me?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to display walls below floors with hidden linetype?

Not automatically, or easily.

In each view, walls that are found within the View Depth portion of View Range are drawn with the Line Style call <Beyond>. Unfortunately simply changing the line pattern for <Beyond> will affect everything in the View Depth. You can override the appearance of a linked model by view but that's additional effort as well.

You can stack views on sheets so you might find it easier to overlay a plan for the lower level that is altered to show those categories as hidden instead.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply, I will experiment with the <Beyond> line settings.

The problem with overriding the linked model by view is that I don't believe I have any way of distinguishing the lower walls from the upper walls, as they are the same wall type in the arch model.

Could you please elaborate on the proper work flow for stacking views and how I would go about doing that?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Create a floor plan for the floor below, alter its visibility settings so all the wall are dashed and gray (cut and projection). Turn off all the other categories (maybe/probably). You'll probably have to use Discipline Architectural to see all their walls. Filter out for Exterior Wall Function, assuming they took care to use walls fit for purpose (interior vs. exterior).

Create a floor plan (primary, the one you are documenting) for the floor above do the same but don't use the underlay so it only shows this floor's elements. Similar comments regarding discipline.

Create a framing plan for the primary floor.

On a sheet add the architectural lower floor plan, add the primary architectural floor plan. Then add the primary framing floor plan view. The architectural plans will usually need to be wireframe so they don't mask the primary floor elements.

See the zip file for a mockup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files