Thread: ASME Standards regarding non-mechanical drawings

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default ASME Standards regarding non-mechanical drawings

Greetings to all,

I have about run out of resources/contacts so I thought maybe posting here would get me some enlightenment. Quick summary, the company I work for does electronic security installations (card readers, cameras, sensors etc). A bid we are working on came with a requirement (a first) that drawings must be submitted using ASME Y14.1 Engineering Drawing Practices Sections 4, 5 and 6, and ASME 14.2 Line Conventions and Lettering. This is fine except we don't do mechanical, I think this was included so all bidders submit the same conformed drawings with same style title blocks. Also to note this is for a HANSCOM bid.

My problem is am I locked into using thick continuous lines for 'visible' entities?

Myself, I have created line types and used different line weights to enhance or better stand out our work. Site plans which would be a town overview and would have all buildings drawn thin minus the ones we are working on. Fiber from one building to another would be a different line type (custom line or an actual color for example). Camera FOV would be phantom or center line to stand out from buildings, device connection drawings would have thin and thick lines for circuit boards, wiring etc.

Since this is a one shot bid, I am trying to determine to best way to go with creating drawings. Note, I the mechanical designer I talked to creates his own, the others I've worked with are architects and structural engineers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by ChaosSeeker; 2019-06-21 at 01:28 AM. Reason: More clarification