Thread: Mirror command for groups

Login to Give a bone

Default Mirror command for groups

Hello
    I ran into some trouble trying to copy groups by mirroring them...

I'm designing an apartment and since all the rooms are the same design, I thought I'd create one room, mirror/copy them on the same level, and copy them on the other levels to save time.
    Each level contains 2 rooms, and as mentioned above, the rooms are the same, except that they are reflecitons of one another as seen in the attached pic.

The issue I'm having is regarding the sliding windows on the south wall.
    I entered the room on the left first, then mirrored it to create the one on the right.
    The problem is, the window flipped as well.
    What I mean is, you see how the horizontal lines of the sliding window are located on the left room? The line on the left is higher than the right one.
    I'd like it to appear the same way in the right room.

Is there a way to make the window in the right room appear in the same way as the left room without resoring to duplicating the group type and editing it as a different group?

Thank you in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Mirror command for groups

Mirroring is an abstraction people are comfortable with but software in practice isn't. When you mirror something it gets flipped. That means a sink has hot and cold connections reversed, a left hand cabinet now looks like a right hand cabinet, a window orientation is reversed (like your example). The reliable way to work around this conundrum is to create a left (not mirrored) and right (mirrored) version. Since you're just getting started (assuming) mirroring goes astray in many more ways, like face-based components which flip on the surface they are hosted to, not the overall host (like a wall) they way you'd expect.

In practice, the comment "it's just mirrored" makes my skin crawl. It's an oversimplification that won't hold up in building modeling. It only barely works in the land of 2D drawings, consider the same thing you describe would happen if you mirrored that after drawing it in AutoCAD.

Login to Give a bone

Hi Steve

Thank you kindly for your input.
    So I guss I need to create 2 different group types,,,
    Or perhaps I can create the room units, group them, but not inlcude elements I do not want flipped (like the window).
    This way I can make changes to locations of walls in the room unit and apply the changes to all rooms in the apartment quickly.

Thanks again!

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Yes, you could regard the exterior envelope as not part of the units. That's quite common. You can also create smaller groups of repeating elements and place them individually so they are easier to update across all instances. For example, a unit might kitchen configuration A and another of the "same" units might opt for kitchen configuration B. The kitchen layouts could be KA, KA mirrored, KB, and KB mirrored.

Login to Give a bone

Ah, I see.
    Thanks again for your help!