Thread: Placed views do not honor layer color overrides made in host drawing

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Placed views do not honor layer color overrides made in host drawing

Hi gang,

I have come across this issue more than once. I'm hoping I'm just missing a setting somewhere.

First, in all mentioned files Visretain is 1 and visretrainmode is 0

Here is the scenario:

1. I have a survey file (SURVEY.dwg) that I xref into our base file (L-BASE.dwg)
    2. In L-BASE.dwg, I override all the layers from the xref SURVEY.dwg to be color 8
    3. I can now open and close L-BASE.dwg at will and the layers from SURVEY.dwg always display color 8
    4. I then make a view in L-BASE.dwg making sure that the checkbox for "Save layer snapshot with view" is checked
    5. When I then place that view on a sheet using the SSM, the layer On/Off and Freeze/Thaw states are correct, but the layer colors are all back to the native colors in SURVEY.dwg

Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help.

-JP

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Placed views do not honor layer color overrides made in host drawing

Quote Originally Posted by jpcadconsulting347236 View Post
    Hi gang,

I have come across this issue more than once. I'm hoping I'm just missing a setting somewhere.

First, in all mentioned files Visretain is 1 and visretrainmode is 0

Here is the scenario:

1. I have a survey file (SURVEY.dwg) that I xref into our base file (L-BASE.dwg)
    2. In L-BASE.dwg, I override all the layers from the xref SURVEY.dwg to be color 8
    3. I can now open and close L-BASE.dwg at will and the layers from SURVEY.dwg always display color 8
    4. I then make a view in L-BASE.dwg making sure that the checkbox for "Save layer snapshot with view" is checked
    5. When I then place that view on a sheet using the SSM, the layer On/Off and Freeze/Thaw states are correct, but the layer colors are all back to the native colors in SURVEY.dwg

Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help.

-JP
    I believe it is doing what it is supposed to.
    AFIK, visretain = 1 only locks in after you have placed the xref and changed the layers (and saved).
    Even though you have the Survey.dwg xreffed into the L-BASE.dwg (I asssume attached vs overlay) your new drawing sees it as a separate new xref you need to adjust the layers to color 8.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Placed views do not honor layer color overrides made in host drawing

Well, I figured as much, but I hoped I was missing a system variable somewhere.

Thanks for the quick reply Ted!