See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Civil 3D line label styles in AutoCAD Map 3D 2019 ?

Login to Give a bone

Default Civil 3D line label styles in AutoCAD Map 3D 2019 ?

Hello,

I would like to be able to move AutoCAD linetype text labels along polylines when they are in the way. I am currently doing this by breaking the polylines (which 'restarts' the lines and therefore the label positions), but besides unnecessarily fragmenting the lines, it is also a very cumbersome process. I found this web page about using AutoCAD Civil 3D line label styles: https://envisioncad.com/autocad-civi...ity-linetypes/

Part 2, step 4 of these instructions (sliding labels along the lines with a grip) is very much what I am looking for. I am using AutoCAD Map 3D 2019, but currently my lines are just polylines (not map features).

I searched for options in Map 3D, but all I found was the 'GIS-styling' of map features (and that doesn't do what I want). Does anybody know whether Map 3D offers something similar to the Civil 3D functionality mentioned in the web page?

Note: I am aware of the various LISP routines Lee Mac is offering on his website (e.g. 'Align Text to Curve', 'Label'), but I'd like the polylines to be automatically labeled already in pre-defined intervals (with the labels following the lines when I change them), but with the option to move some of the labels out of the way. I am also occasionally using MTEXT labels with background masks on the lines. Although these labels allow me to move them out of the way, they are not constrained to movement along the line, and (as mentioned before) the lines don't have them automatically placed either when they are created.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Regards,
    Peter

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Civil 3D line label styles in AutoCAD Map 3D 2019 ?

AutoCAD linetypes are still stuck in the 1980s -- I doubt if that will ever get changed since it's not gee--whiz enough for marketing.

For all practical purposes, for the forseeable future you'll have to apply the text labels after the fact, and manually fix as things change/get edited. LISP will help, but it will always be a mutli-step process.

Login to Give a bone

Yeah, I was hoping that I missed a feature in Map 3D - thanks anyway!

Peter

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    AutoCAD linetypes are still stuck in the 1980s -- I doubt if that will ever get changed since it's not gee--whiz enough for marketing.

For all practical purposes, for the forseeable future you'll have to apply the text labels after the fact, and manually fix as things change/get edited. LISP will help, but it will always be a mutli-step process.
    You said it there, They don't ever really go back and fix anything just do simple little things like changing the color of the screen or changing tool buttons to something that makes no sense