Thread: Sharing Violation

Login to Give a bone

Default Sharing Violation

I have started work this morning with a new error message from Revit. The file that I am trying open is a workset file. Two other people in the office are able to open their local versions of this file. I was the last person to save to central last night. Today I get a message that says there is a sharing violation when opening a .jpg file that I made 2 months ago. The crazy part is that the .jpg file was created in Photoshop, and isn't imported, linked, or associated with the Revit file in any way. Except that it was made with from a .jpg rendering that Revit exported under a different name. Has anyone tackled this problem already. Is the fix something I can do quickly, so I can get back to work?

As always thank you for your time and help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Sharing Violation

Quote Originally Posted by ArchWestCY
    I have started work this morning with a new error message from Revit. The file that I am trying open is a workset file. Two other people in the office are able to open their local versions of this file. I was the last person to save to central last night. Today I get a message that says there is a sharing violation when opening a .jpg file that I made 2 months ago. The crazy part is that the .jpg file was created in Photoshop, and isn't imported, linked, or associated with the Revit file in any way. Except that it was made with from a .jpg rendering that Revit exported under a different name. Has anyone tackled this problem already. Is the fix something I can do quickly, so I can get back to work?

As always thank you for your time and help.
    It sounds like the jpeg is referenced buy one of your materials in the project....

Login to Give a bone

The .jpg is of a rendering. It is not a part of any material. Since I posted this thread. One of my coworkers experienced a Revit crash. When he tried to re open the file he gets the same error. Now two of us are without access to our work.
    I have tried to open the central file, and received the same message.
    When i got in this morning one coworker already had it open. Then mine would not work, and after that another coworker opened it just fine.
    Thanks for you help aaronrumple, but I don't think it has anything to do with materials.
    I do however reserve the right to be incorrect at any moment.

Login to Give a bone

I went to the file that is listed in the error message, and renamed it. Then I went Revit and tried to open the local file. It worked just fine. Weird, I think so. Long story short I removed the file in question, and Revit liked it. I don't know if anyone else will ever have this problem, or look for the answer int his thread, but the fix was quite easy after I figured out what to do.

Good day everyone.

aaronrumple St. Louis rocks. It's my home town. I'm glad to see that Revit is being used there, if I ever move back I might look you up. Thanks again for your help.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I just had a similar issue. Turns out it was caused by a jpg and bmp file xref'd into an autocad file that was then linked into our Revit model. Only a problem if the jpg and/or bmp are in model space, which is what Revit sees. It's fine when I move everything to paper space. And it's OK if nobody has an Autocad file with the linked jpg and bmp open. That may also explain some of your seemingly random behavior with the file working and then stopping. When a CAD file it opened by the engineers with the images in model space, the file freaks out when trying to STC.

Kevin

Login to Give a bone

Take Ownership” your file and after that, you can open it.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

FWIW, You've replied to a thread that last saw action in 2007.