See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Setting slope of a pad

Login to Give a bone

Default Setting slope of a pad

I am totally new to Civil 3D and I am trying to set an odd shaped pad on a ~3% slope at a specific direction line. I created feature lines for both the pad shape and the direction line. I adjusted the direction line elevations to be on a common slope. How do I link the pad and the slope line together?

TIA.

Gary

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Setting slope of a pad

not sure why you need a direction line. since you have a feature line for the pad, you can use "quick elevation edit" tool on the edit elevations panel to grade from point to point.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the feedback much appreciated. As I said I am totally new to civil 3D and trying to learn. The shape of the pad is in the attached pic. The red line represents the direction of the 3% slope that I want to make the pad high on east side to low on west. I know how to change the elevation of the points in feature but how do I set the pad to follow the slope at the red line if the red line is set at 3% slope? Do I create new points in the pad feature at the location of red line? Can I then set elevation between those 2 points?
    Attached Images Attached Images

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

see attached. i would convert all lines to feature lines. set the elevations to the highest elevation of the pad. using set grade/slope between two points on the edit elevations panel,
    grade from point a to point b at -3% or whatever grade you need. then insert PI at both a & b on the outside feature line (limits of pad). it should pick up on the elevation of the sloped
    middle line, if not just assign the elevation. then using the set grade tool again grade along the top edge of the pad from A to B. by picking A and accepting the elevation and then picking B
    and accepting the elevation it will automatically grade between them. then do the same thing to the lower half.

edit: doing it this way is only going to give you the 3% slope along the middle (red) line. if the pad needs to be more consistent, you may want to
    add additional parallel lines and slope them to 3% and add additional PIs and then grade the exterior. it all depends on your application.

i'm sure there are more ways and better ways to achieve this, just my first thought of how it could be done.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rmk; 2019-08-05 at 08:37 PM.

Login to Give a bone

We were approached about two years ago with a similar situation by a Civil3D user who (at that time) indicated it couldn't be done in stock Civil3D.

We added a Grade > Plane tool to our C3DTools (http://www.dotsoft.com/c3dtools.htm) add-on, and anyone with a business email is welcome to use it for roughly 45 days free of charge. On this tool, the user specifies the starting point (west) and enters an elevation. Then a pick in the slope direction (east) and specify the grade (3%). All vertices on the closed FeatureLine (or 3dPoly) will have their elevation set to the appropriate values.

To the moderators: While we are promoting a commercial product, we are also offering free use of that product for roughly 45 days.

Login to Give a bone

Not to take away from Terry's apt & creative tool - love that dude & hope folks support him by trying/buying his apps

For 'sheet flows' in grading scenarios with pads, parking lots, cul-de-sacs, etc, simply create a Surface that has the desired slope(s) & grade breaks then get the 'Elevation From Surface' (dynamic [aka relative] or static, as needed).

If needed for Corridor applications, simply use said 'sheet flows' Surface with Alignment(s) & Profile(s) from said Surface (this is not the same as relative Feature Line PIs).

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dotson View Post
    To the moderators: While we are promoting a commercial product, we are also offering free use of that product for roughly 45 days.
    No problem Terry. Good to hear from you.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox
    Not to take away from Terry's apt & creative tool - love that dude & hope folks support him by trying/buying his apps
    Cheers to that @Blackbox.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post

For 'sheet flows' in grading scenarios with pads, parking lots, cul-de-sacs, etc, simply create a Surface that has the desired slope(s) & grade breaks then get the 'Elevation From Surface' (dynamic [aka relative] or static, as needed).

If needed for Corridor applications, simply use said 'sheet flows' Surface with Alignment(s) & Profile(s) from said Surface (this is not the same as relative Feature Line PIs).

Cheers
    if i'm understanding your concept, you would create a temporary/dummy surface larger than the area of the pad with the
    appropriate elevations and grade and then use elevations from surface to project the feature line to the surface.

edit: just did a little test of this concept and it worked beautifully. thanks BlackBox
    Last edited by rmk; 2019-08-06 at 04:22 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rmk View Post
    edit: just did a little test of this concept and it worked beautifully. thanks BlackBox
    Cheers, dude.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000