Thread: Import 'Project North' Linked Model into 'True North' Host Model correctly (Revit LT)

Login to Give a bone

Default Import 'Project North' Linked Model into 'True North' Host Model correctly (Revit LT)

In order to import linked models from project base point to project base point into a host model with correct true north orientation, do linked models need to have project north equal to true north?

I have four linked models, North, East, South & West wings. North, East & South wing linked models all have project north equal to true north & when imported into the host model project base point they all display as I would like them to. However, the west wing linked model has a project north of 90 degrees counterclockwise to true north and when imported to the host model using the same method it seems to be importing with reference to project north rather than true north. I would like all linked models to be referencing true north from the linked models.

I have created a duplicate model of the west wing with project north equal to true north to demonstrate that this change corrects the issue, although I would like to keep project north at 90 degrees counterclockwise if possible as I have views & sheets set up within the linked model that rely on this setting do display correctly.

Project Base points and Survey Points are all positioned equally in each linked and host model as shown on the screenshots provided, which all refer to a common boundary point. I have sketched lines from project base point to linked models nearest corner to show the difference in each host model scenario. I am using Revit LT, so I was wondering if positioning functionality is more restricted that the full version, or am I missing a simple step to rectify the issue? Thanks in advance.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Import 'Project North' Linked Model into 'True North' Host Model correctly (Revit LT)

LT doesn't support Shared Coordinates which would help reconcile what you describe. The Project Base Point is used for positioning X/Y/Z but it doesn't factor in True/Project North, just Project North as you've discovered. Since all of your models are referencing the Project Base Point the same way (except for angle) you can still link them together the way you have. You'll need to rotate the one building afterward to orient it properly.

I don't have LT available to me ATM, is the Specify Coordinates at Point (SPaC) button enabled? (Manage ribbon > Coordinates...). I know Acquire and Publish Coordinates aren't supported but don't recall if SPaC works.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Import 'Project North' Linked Model into 'True North' Host Model correctly (Revit LT)

Great, thanks for the feedback and quick response Steve.