Thread: Problem with Internet Explorer

Login to Give a bone

Default Problem with Internet Explorer

Hi

I do not know if I am in the right place. I am getting a lot problem with MS internet explorer. It is really slow and in many instances its freeze up the cmpr. I notice the problem start when I try to download some games for my son, I accidently hit a yes button then a lots of pup ups came up. I bought a software called spyware killer and kill pop ups but the problems are still there.

Please help me to fix it.

Thanks for your respond.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Problem with Internet Explorer

Hi minhtct,

Please note that I have moved this thread from the Network forums to this one. I believe it would be better suited here.

Login to Give a bone

Sounds like you have spyware or a virus on your system. Make sure your anti-virus in running and updated. Make sure your spyware detection program is also up to date. Also spyware detection programs can miss things. Its a good idea to have a couple. One will find what the others didn't. There are several good ones out there. Plus most of them are free.

Check out the following thread for recommendations of spyware removal software.

What do you do about spyware?

Login to Give a bone

Eck - Sounds like time to do some virus removal!

Here's a more thorough process for removing spyware/antivirus if the easy program scans don't work on their own:

First things first - disconnect your internet so that no communication can take place for the moment. Pull out the plug, sign off, whatever - just make sure that anything on your system cannot access any potential instruction services out there on the Net.

Now, depending on what operating system you're running, you need to delete the temp files that the OS stores up. In 2K - XP, go to C>Docs and Settings>(your user name)>Local Settings>Temp and delete everything in this folder. Next, in the location C>Docs and Settings>(your user name)>Local Settings>Temporary Internet Files, delete everything in here as well. In 95-98, the locations are C>Windows>Temp and C>Windows>Temporary Internet Files. At this point you have cleared the two most likely places for a virus to reside.

For redundancy, open My Computer>Control Panel>Internet Settings. Click Temp Internet Files, Click "Delete Files" and "Delete Cookies." Below that, click "Clear history". While you're in here, make sure that www.msn.com is written in the Home page area - soemtimes a virus will put another page in this area and will actually load information to/from your computer when you access this default page. Close this window out.

Chances are some of the things that you tried to delete would not be removed because they were in use. The quickest way to end a running program is by using CTRL ATL DELETE, which brings up the Task Manager. Take a look at the names of programs that are in this list, and try to match them to any files located in the "Temp" folder above. Any that are identical, select, and then click "end process". Try to delete the files again in the "Temp" directory and it should work.

Next, reconnect your internet for a short period to run a virus scan. It is sometimes possible for a virus to overtake your antivirus software, so I usually recommend using a web-based service for this step no matter what antivirus you have installed. I prefer http://housecall.trendmicro.com/. Delete anything it finds. Better to be safe than sorry. Disconnect once done.

Now lastly, click the Start Menu>Programs>Startup, and look at this folder for a moment. These are all items that startup with your computer every time you turn it on. If there is anything in there that is questionable, I'd right click on it's name and select "Delete". This removes it from the boot process. Essentially this cannot harm anything - this is merely a shortcut that you can always add back in later if you discover it to be important.

Run that anti spyware program now to check again. Delete anything it finds. Reboot, reconnect the internet and try Internet Explorer again. If the problem persists, run the trendmicro virus scan again and look for things that you removed last time around that are now reappearing. This will give you a place to start. If you get a name of a virus that is continually coming back, take that name down, and look it up in the Virus Database on Symantec.com's website. There will be additional instructions here.

Try these steps and let us know how it goes. The next steps would be to dig into technical areas of Windows and begin to remove threatening components from the boot cycle, and then to manual reconfigure some system settings to disallow a suspicious file from replicating. I'd recommend someone to complete these steps in person, so that no issues arise.

Thanks,
    Albert
    Last edited by slayer913; 2005-04-07 at 06:35 PM.

Login to Give a bone

OK nobody suggested it. Junk IE and get Firefox or Opera. They conform to the standards that bind the internet and not the MS defined ones

Secondly. What OS are you running? What security software have you got installed i.e. firewall, anti spy-ware, anti virus etc etc. If you haven't got them get some. There are free ones available for home use.

Have you ran an online AV scanner on the PC? If not run one. Norton, MacAfee, Panda and Trend all have them. Here's a list of software and online scanners.

If your running Win2K or XP have admin accounts and users account ans set up the accounts so they belong to each class. A user class account doesn't have the same permissions so less damage can be done.

Hope you get your problems sorted out.

Robert Aitken