Thread: Resource to help make the Transisition from Microstation to Autocad?

Login to Give a bone

Question Resource to help make the Transisition from Microstation to Autocad?

Good Morning all,

We have a new employee starting soon. He has a ton of experience in Microstation but we will be working in Autocad. I'm confident he will pick it up just fine, but want to offer him any resource available that may make the transistion a bit easier. I personally working exclusively in Microstation my first two-three years, then made the switch to Autocad in 2006-2007. I would describe it as learning a new language. You need to relearn a lot of muscle memory in your fingers and re-wire your brain. The worst part was a bit of back and forth between the two programs for me, as we closed out microstation jobs at my firm.

My searching thus far has lead me to this great resource:

If you know of any other resources or guides, please share.

Thank you!

-Patrick

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Resource to help make the Transisition from Microstation to Autocad?

You Tube has a lot of videos of varying quality

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Resource to help make the Transisition from Microstation to Autocad?

Quote Originally Posted by remi678731 View Post
    You Tube has a lot of videos of varying quality
    Unfortunately I haven't found a single video on youtube about working in Autocad coming from a Microstation background. I found a couple on the opposite, but the search results get inundated with the topic of converting drawings from one to the other. So there might be some content that is getting missed.

Login to Give a bone

As someone who works in both platforms on a semi-regular basis, I don't think he'll have too much trouble. A lot of the commands are similar enough that most questions of "how do I...?" are easily answered. The Command Alias Editor is also a great tool - if there are keyboard commands (keyins) that he finds himself reverting back to, they can be easily mapped to the corresponding Acad command. (Example - I have "A3" as a keyboard command to "Edit Text" Why? Because in MicroStation, A3 is the keyin for the same command).
    Getting over the hump of the initial "wait - why is this backwards" and switching to the new software is relatively painless. I don't have any resources to point you to however, as all my training was from mentors and just jumping in and going.