Thread: Linked model column grid / grid head control

Login to Give a bone

Arrow Linked model column grid / grid head control

Hello there,
    We have an "existing building" model complete with existing column grids that we are linking into our proposed project that also has "new" column grids.
    Does anyone have any advice on how to control/change how the existing grids show up in the proposed model / plans / elevations etc?

For instance, even though we have the "existing" grids placed where/how we want them in the existing model; with grid heads on each end, they don't come in that way as linked.
    I tried propagating extents in the existing model and reloaded, that didn't help.

Hopefully this is something I'm missing and a quick fix.

Thanks

[edit] I just discovered setting the view setting for the revit link by "linked view" and that helped, not sure there is another way?
    Last edited by tedg; 2019-09-06 at 11:55 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Linked model column grid / grid head control

Sharing Grids/Levels between models is what Copy/Monitor was created for. Originally it was designed for Structure > Architecture because those were the first two discipline focused versions. Essentially they recognized each discipline will need/want their own version of grids so they can adjust their extents as required for their own scope and documentation. Use C/M to create equivalent grids in the host model. Coordination Review is meant to allow for continued consistency between models so we are alerted if a difference is detected. Difference being a new location or name change for example.

By Linked View was introduced to allow a host model to display another model including the annotation (like tags and dimensions etc) that appears in a specific view. That's another layer of complexity that I'd avoid.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    Sharing Grids/Levels between models is what Copy/Monitor was created for. Originally it was designed for Structure > Architecture because those were the first two discipline focused versions. Essentially they recognized each discipline will need/want their own version of grids so they can adjust their extents as required for their own scope and documentation. Use C/M to create equivalent grids in the host model. Coordination Review is meant to allow for continued consistency between models so we are alerted if a difference is detected. Difference being a new location or name change for example.

By Linked View was introduced to allow a host model to display another model including the annotation (like tags and dimensions etc) that appears in a specific view. That's another layer of complexity that I'd avoid.
    So you're saying I should copy-monitor the grids from the existing model so I will have my own copies to manipulate in the proposed model?
    Ok thanks, will give that a go.

[Edit] Thanks Steve, that worked, copy-monitored so I can manipulate how they look in the proposed structural model.
    Last edited by tedg; 2019-09-06 at 07:05 PM.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

yahshooeryoobetcha!