Thread: Exporting linetype, color, and layer functionality to kmz file

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Exporting linetype, color, and layer functionality to kmz file

I have a drawing created in Civil3D. I would like to export the linework to a kmz file that can be viewed in Google Earth. Is there a way to export the linework in a way that keeps the linetypes, colors, and layer functionality. In other words, when I open the kmz file in Google Earth, I would like to see the linework just as it is in CAD and separated by layer and not entity. For example, I would like to see existing paving as a hidden linetype, in the color blue, on a toggle layer in Google Earth with the same name as the layer in the CAD file "EXISTING PAVING". I can get the linework exported, but everything is the same color, continuous linetypes, and sorted as line1, line 2, line 3, etc. in the temporary places area of Google Earth. I am looking for a way to manage this in Civil 3D, Map 3D, or a third party software. If this can only be accomplished by third party software, are there any free programs, or other recommendations. Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Exporting linetype, color, and layer functionality to kmz file

If you check the properties a linear placemark in GE, you will notice you can change the color, width, but NOT the linetype. The only way to approximate linetypes in GE would be to export segments of various lengths to approximate it and not only would it slow down processing, it would probably not render well when geometry is draped onto the surface, etc. Color is a different story and the built in ExportKML command should display that properly. The effect of layering can be achieved with <folders> and that's what we do on our Publish tool. There may be some free tools to be obtained but I seriously doubt any of them would be better than the built in tool.

If you're considering not free but affordably priced third party add-ons, take a look at http://www.dotsoft.com/c3dtools.htm.