Thread: Permit Drawing Set v. Construction Documents

Login to Give a bone

Default Permit Drawing Set v. Construction Documents

My office has been mulling over this question and I'm wondering if the good people of AUGI have opinions.

We recently submitted drawings for permit on a large project, all created in Revit. We have a pretty strict permit review process here so there will certainly be comments and we will have to submit at least one set of revisions. Our reviewers are also pretty insistent that we not change anything in the drawing without including it as part of the revision.

Our issue is this: we would like to continue developing the drawings to Construction Document level (adding construction notes and details that are not necessary for permit) without those changes showing up on our Permit Revisions. Does anyone have a good strategy for this, maybe using Phases, Worksets or Design Options?

I know this is a convoluted question so I apologize if it doesn't make sense.
    Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Permit Drawing Set v. Construction Documents

We use neither Phases nor Design options here. Our construction documents and permit drawings are always located in separate sheets in the project browser .This way we can maintain major design data between the two packages with different annotations / title-blocks according to each package’s requirement.

Login to Give a bone

Our last west coast project took them 9 mths to review before we got any comments back. For that project we actually just saved an archived model and made the changes to it just to pick up the comments and picked up those same changes in the Construction Docs model.
    Funny story on that, I believe the contractor was working "At Risk" without a permit for the better part of a year. We had the Building Enclosed before we had a building permit.

Ali's method works, but only if you're not still updating your design.

I'd suggest either separate models or adding a phase and making all new views and sheets. But I'd guess a separate model might be easier, would also be a lot leaner. Design options could work, but I have a feeling those would get overly complicated. Plus only one user per design option. So I'd go phases before I'd got Design Options.
    Just my 2 cents.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply. Our issue only issue is that our changes going into construction may have minor changes to the model itself. Still, I think your suggestion is a good option.

- - - Updated - - -

It looks like a separate model makes sense for the project we're working on now. It's not perfect because we will have to pick up some changes twice but it will get the job done.
    Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by a_meteni View Post
    We use neither Phases nor Design options here. Our construction documents and permit drawings are always located in separate sheets in the project browser .This way we can maintain major design data between the two packages with different annotations / title-blocks according to each package’s requirement.
    Ali, how do you manage the different views you need to keep these separate? Do you duplicate views? I am looking for solutions for the way we make revisions and I am looking at separate sheets as well.