Thread: Update Express Tools lisp functions

Wish List Administration

Default Update Express Tools lisp functions

Summary: Many of the lisp routines error the second time they're used simply because they use the outdated "command" lisp function.

Description: Often in recent versions these routines return the error:

(*pop-error-mode*) underflow.
    Cannot invoke (command) from *error* without prior call to (*push-error-using-command*).
    Converting (command) calls to (command-s) is recommended.

They can be fixed simply by replacing every "(command " text with (command-s " in each of the lisp routines. As they are now requires updating them on each PC every time a new version's Express Tools are installed. Help for these functions are built into AutoCAD 2020 Help while the commands haven't been updated in years.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - Express Tools

Submitted By: Tom Beauford on 11/05/2019

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post

Default Re: Update Express Tools lisp functions

Wanted to say thanks for this, and leave a bookmark for myself. I have been having this problem for years with Express Tools working once or twice per ACAD session. I think, and hope this may have fixed the problem.

I think you know the answer, so I'll just say good luck.

We can't get them to even touch the VLIDE, I doubt anyone in interested in updating ET.
    If they could jack the cost up after doing so... then maybe.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Quote Originally Posted by Wish List System View Post
    Summary: Many of the lisp routines error the second time they're used simply because they use the outdated "command" lisp function.

Description: Often in recent versions these routines return the error:

(*pop-error-mode*) underflow.
    Cannot invoke (command) from *error* without prior call to (*push-error-using-command*).
    Converting (command) calls to (command-s) is recommended.

They can be fixed simply by replacing every "(command " text with (command-s " in each of the lisp routines. As they are now requires updating them on each PC every time a new version's Express Tools are installed. Help for these functions are built into AutoCAD 2020 Help while the commands haven't been updated in years.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - Express Tools

Submitted By: Tom Beauford on 11/05/2019
    So how do we do we fix that? How do I change the default command to a command-s one? I am struggling to understand. We have two company templates. One has this problem and exact error when AlignSpace is used a second time during a session. The other template never has this problem! We are not evening using a lisp routine?? I appreciate any help!

Just open the file in a text editor, like Notepad or the VLIDE in AutoCAD, and then use the Find and Replace function on the Edit menu.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Certifiable AUGI Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe View Post
    Just open the file in a text editor, like Notepad or the VLIDE in AutoCAD, and then use the Find and Replace function on the Edit menu.
    Easy enough to fix but the Express Tools are downloaded again with each version. Just seems like if we don't mind fixing them someone at Autodesk would be willing to accept and update them. It would literally take them less than 2 minutes to solve everyone's issues with these routines.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe View Post
    Just open what file? We are note using a LISP routine. We are using Civil 3D and a autocad command, I guess it comes in with the Express Tools Ribbon, but that's still built into the Civil 3D when installed. Even so, that sounds like a per machine problem. What I am saying is that it only occurs for us in files created from one of our templates. The other template never has this problem. So I can have two files open at once, each file made from a different template, I can use the AlignSpace command in one file over and over again no problem, I use that command once in the other file and can't use it again. Really banging my head into the desk right now on this one. Thanks for the help!

Certifiable AUGI Addict

Quote Originally Posted by ebrisse937766 View Post
    Just open what file? We are note using a LISP routine. We are using Civil 3D and a autocad command, I guess it comes in with the Express Tools Ribbon, but that's still built into the Civil 3D when installed. Even so, that sounds like a per machine problem. What I am saying is that it only occurs for us in files created from one of our templates. The other template never has this problem. So I can have two files open at once, each file made from a different template, I can use the AlignSpace command in one file over and over again no problem, I use that command once in the other file and can't use it again. Really banging my head into the desk right now on this one. Thanks for the help!
    The Express folder shown in Options→[Files] tab→Support File Support Path contains all the lisp files used for the Express Tools Ribbon or otherwise.
    Most of them appear to have been updated by the dates shown but I believe the only changes most have seen in the past 20 years is the SIGNATURE section. aliasedit.lsp Copyright in the file is 1999 but the saved file date is 8/3/2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Beauford View Post
    The Express folder shown in Options→[Files] tab→Support File Support Path contains all the lisp files used for the Express Tools Ribbon or otherwise.
    Most of them appear to have been updated by the dates shown but I believe the only changes most have seen in the past 20 years is the SIGNATURE section. aliasedit.lsp Copyright in the file is 1999 but the saved file date is 8/3/2020.
    Thank you for the replies. You're helping a ton. So I have navigated to 'C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2021\Express' and located the file 'aspace.lsp' and in that file replaced every "command" with "command-s" that I can find. (I edited it with Notepad.) Then replaced the file in that directory with the newer one. Does not seem to have made a difference when I retested it. Same error.

I still don't understand how this can work fine in one file and not in the other. I feel like the probably is some variable in the file not the program...

Certifiable AUGI Addict

Quote Originally Posted by ebrisse937766 View Post
    What I am saying is that it only occurs for us in files created from one of our templates. The other template never has this problem. So I can have two files open at once, each file made from a different template, I can use the AlignSpace command in one file over and over again no problem, I use that command once in the other file and can't use it again. Really banging my head into the desk right now on this one. Thanks for the help!
    Probably a question for a different Forum but from what you're saying there may be a problem with that template. If you post it in the AutoCAD General Forum and attach the template someone should have a solution. Maybe the viewport was put on the Defpoints layer or something.