Thread: Revit Detailing Graphics

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit Detailing Graphics

Hi all, kind of general question here.

My firm is almost fully transitioned to Revit but we are having trouble creating high quality details. Typically, we have very high standards for graphics and legibility (our details from AutoCAD are a thing of beauty) but we haven't quite gotten the hang of detailing in Revit.

Here's what we are doing now: set up view callouts of what we need, draw over the 3D model with annotation (detail items, filled regions, etc), apply a view template that hides most model categories. We do create more standard details as drafting views. By default, the drawing comes out a bit flat, with no hierarchy. Before we put a lot of time into fixing our settings I thought I would ask the masses:

What are your best tips for creating Revit detail standards?

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Detailing Graphics

I'd suggest using very well defined detail components.
    The other issue you need to sort out is your line weights.
    Revit does line weights in a very different manner as they are scale dependent unlike Autocad.
    I'd suggest trying to set them up very similar to what you would typically do at each scale according to your Acad Pen weights.
    What we did was draw 8 lines in a drafting view - one for each of the basic weights. I highly doubt you had more than that for your Autocad standard.
    Then place that view on a sheet. Set the scale for the first at 1/16"
    Copy the view and set the scale at 1/8" and one for each standard scale down to full.
    Place those all on a sheet and print them full size and then half size and see what you get.
    Tweak those until you have a standard set of pens that plot the way you would like to see them at each scale.
    Next you'll need to go thru your template and set the object styles for both projection and cut to the pen number you think they should be.
    After you get that all set up, next you'll need to go thru your entire library and look to see how your detail components are set up. Are they using sub-categories? Are those set correctly? Are they using your standard default names? Are they consistent with your template? Remember whatever you set in your template will override whats in the family assuming it has the same name.
    After you get thru all that, you'll need to remind your staff never to grab content from anywhere outside your library without passing it thru your BIM group so you can verify it's set up correctly.
    Oh and don't grab anything from any previous project and overwrite any families in the current project.

Best of Luck.