Thread: Geometry of closed-loop sweep and circular sweep won't join only when profiles align at 4 points

Login to Give a bone

Default Geometry of closed-loop sweep and circular sweep won't join only when profiles align at 4 points

Capture.PNG

I'm working on a window family where I'm using sweeps to create the stile/rail elements. While the window and casing are fairly custom, I nevertheless built in several parameters into the family to adjust height, width, arch depth, transom height, etc. as the design will change in the future.

Here's the problem: The circular sweep in the transom can't join with the arched transom sweep of the same profile ONLY when the transom height and width are such that the profiles overlap exactly as shown in the attached screenshot. Then, of course, I get the "Can't join geometry" error message and the sweep gets deleted. Otherwise, when the window width is wider than the diameter of the circle, then the circle sweep joins correctly with the top and bottom rails of the transom sweep, and there aren't any problems.

I understand most of the issues that arise with attempting to join geometry, but this one has me a bit puzzled. I'm sure it probably has to do with the profile of the circular sweep being exactly aligned with and contained in the the same profile of the arched transom sweep in this condition.

Possible workarounds or fixes? Any help or clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scot
    Attached Files Attached Files

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Geometry of closed-loop sweep and circular sweep won't join only when profiles align at 4 points

Isolate in view the circular sweep and two center ref planes. Move center of the sweep path (make sure you snap to center - SC) to the intersection of two ref planes (SI).
    Revit file attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Geometry of closed-loop sweep and circular sweep won't join only when profiles align at 4 points

You, sir, are a scholar and a gentleman! Thanks very much.

Now, why that works and why what I had wasn't working I've still no idea ... but so it goes with Revit oft times!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Indeed you had the center of the sweep at the ref planes intersection, but it was not constrained to it.