See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: LABELS

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default LABELS

how do you change the default layer setting for line labels? in toolspace, right click on dwg name and you can set default object layers.
    but in the label styles you should be able to change that. mine is not using the layer i have set in the layout tab of the label style.
    the color of the text changes to that layer, but it shows the layer of the default object layer in properties.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: LABELS

Not sure what you are asking. It is performing exactly as designed, as far as I can tell from your description. If you want the line labels placed on a different layer, changed the default layer under the object Layers settings.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I keep almost all of my labels set to 0 layer and then select and move them to the correct text layer I have setup for them. I wish there was an easier way, or that the labels would be placed on the layer set in the style and not the object layer. But that is how I work around some of the issues with the layers.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rmk View Post
    how do you change the default layer setting for line labels? in toolspace, right click on dwg name and you can set default object layers.
    but in the label styles you should be able to change that. mine is not using the layer i have set in the layout tab of the label style.
    the color of the text changes to that layer, but it shows the layer of the default object layer in properties.
    You have too understand the hierarchy of the layers system which I don't totally get. It does make me wonder though In every class I've been too we were told not under any case make a block with nested layers. But then here we are

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by remi678731 View Post
    You have too understand the hierarchy of the layers system which I don't totally get. It does make me wonder though In every class I've been too we were told not under any case make a block with nested layers. But then here we are
    Yes this is true but.....
    It has been my experience that when making simple blocks/symbols, absolutely on layer zero (so they take on a layer's properties)!
    Sometimes I'll make a block with the main geom. is on zero and may have another layer like a "No Plot" layer or something.

But sometimes it's necessary to create a block made up of items on different layers, but when you do that, it should be "placed" on layer zero just to avoid being on an unintended layer.

HTH

(btw I'm talking about regular AutoCAD, not sure what C3D does with this)

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    Yes this is true but.....
    It has been my experience that when making simple blocks/symbols, absolutely on layer zero (so they take on a layer's properties)!
    Sometimes I'll make a block with the main geom. is on zero and may have another layer like a "No Plot" layer or something.

But sometimes it's necessary to create a block made up of items on different layers, but when you do that, it should be "placed" on layer zero just to avoid being on an unintended layer.

HTH

(btw I'm talking about regular AutoCAD, not sure what C3D does with this)
    Hi
    There is always a exception to the rule. I have and will use a nested block when circumstances dictate, however to use them as a general rule is bad practice at least in my work flow. Civil3d style use layers similar to a nested block. And trying to use layiso doesn't work at all. As I've said before Civil3d does somethings well but it still doesn't live up to the hype, and has a long ways to go to match Land Desktop for ease of use

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by remi678731 View Post
    Hi
    There is always a exception to the rule. I have and will use a nested block when circumstances dictate, however to use them as a general rule is bad practice at least in my work flow.
    Agreed. I don't use the nested method very often, it's usually a special case.