See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: upgrading to windows 10

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default upgrading to windows 10

The company I work for is currently running AutoCAD 2009 on windows 7, we are upgrading to windows 10. I already know windows 10 will not support AutoCAD 2009. We are a roofing company and I use AutoCAD to do our shop drawings and submittal packages. This is a 2D application only, so my question is can we get the subscription for AutoCAD LT and have it be what I need or will we need to get the full version of AutoCAD. Any knowledge or advise would be helpful.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: upgrading to windows 10

Its not so much that Windows 10 will not support 2009 (You can always run in compatibility mode), but that Autodesk will not issue a registration key for software older than 2010. As to whether LT will work for you or not, only you can decide that. Basically, LT does not support lisp or 3D. See here for a comparison to AutoCAD. Also, you can download a 30-day trial to evaluate if it will work for your needs.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

might also consider looking at a work-alike. BricsCAD or Graebert's Ares Commander, heck even Corel CAD will be at least as compatible as Acad 2009 tp the current versions of AutoCAD.

Or, you can try suing autodesk for either a refund of your 2009 puchase price, or new auth codes. Since they arbitrarily broke the functionality and your ability to use your perpeptual license software.

Login to Give a bone

If you upgrade to Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise, you can enable Client Hyper-V and simply convert your existing Windows 7 physical machine into a virtual machine (VM) using DISKTOVHD, then host that VM from your new Windows 10 physical machine's local disk (where it will be faster), the network file server (where it can be backed up), etc and simply remote into that machine using RDP file.

I do this for our surveyor, who also happens to be the Vice President of the firm, who insists on using AutoCAD 2000 + Eagle Point on Windows XP... No, I am not kidding.

I converted his old workstation to VM, moved it to the server, added something to NETLOGON script to copy it local for him (so we get the CYA of network backups & local disk performance), and configured an RDP file so that when he double clicks, it logs him in with saved credentials... He simply double clicks to go back in time.

We already owned the licensing for Windows XP, AutoCAD 2000 and Eagle Point... Now he doesn't have to upgrade until he's ready to do so.

Cheers

[Edit] - I also do this for our Engineers who are required to use ICPR v3 on Windows XP with USB redirect software for the USB hardware lock, so Engineers can remote in to run/edit drainage models nights and weekends without having to come into the office. Yes, ICPR installs on Windows 10 and even runs quite a bit faster but Windows 10 broke the ability to remote in and ICPR continue to run (it crashed the app for some reason back when we first tried it). The local County will not allow ICPR v4, which sucks, as that runs on the server & supports multi-threading but there's some sort of vertical bust when running the same drainage model in both versions, which is kind of a big deal when accounting for 100 year flood elevations being different. Haha

[Edit] - Just be mindful to have enough CPU & RAM system resources available to your new Windows 10 workstation to support running both the native OS & hosting the VM and/or be mindful to upgrade your server backup implementation to account for this (these?) new Windows 7 VM(s). You may not even have to upgrade RAM, backup storage, etc, but even if you do, you're spending hundreds on yourself in lieu of tens of thousands to Autodesk (over time).
    Last edited by BlackBox; 2020-01-29 at 05:15 PM.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Interesting idea --I'd be expecting the old auth code to fail however, since the VM will not be the same hardware-wise as the old physical machine. (20 year old Acad ran a much simpler authorization system than 10 year old)

it would be an worthwhile experiment....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    (20 year old Acad ran a much simpler authorization system than 10 year old)

...and it was much easier to pirate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sdavis279678700 View Post
    ..... so my question is can we get the subscription for AutoCAD LT and have it be what I need or will we need to get the full version of AutoCAD.
    I have to agree with @cadtag - in your case, BricsCAD would do the job, for less $. BricsCAD Classic is US$845 for a perpetual license.

But you do have a current investment in your AutoCAD 2009, so perhaps the suggestion from @BlackBox would work for you too.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |