Thread: Foran 2D to Autocad file conversion.

2nd star to the right & straight on till Morning
    Login to Give a bone

Default Foran 2D to Autocad file conversion.

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has any experience with converting Foran files to dxf's?

We are using a 2D schematics from an original design with the intention of updating them to our new design. However the process we've been recommended, results in some items coming through at a different scale and with overlapping text. The recommended process is - Open in Fsysd, export to .e2 files, Open in FDesign and save as a dxf, then import into ACAD.)

I was hoping to get an accurate idea of what to expect before we start doing this, and wondered how much could be fixed by scripting or if it is going to be the huge manual task they seem to think it will be.
    I am aware that the folk recommending the process are Foran users and don't know AutoCAD and the guy showing us didn't even know how to check layers, so there may be a huge amount of lost data. I won't get to know till I have access and am able to properly interrogate it.
    Hoping someone out there may be able to help.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Foran 2D to Autocad file conversion.

Good luck. I've not heard of Foran before and cannot find anything online mentioning a process to export from Foran to DXF.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

2nd star to the right & straight on till Morning
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks Opie,

Yeah it's a 3d software package for ship building. Really niche I think. I have not used it and the reason we are exporting to dxf is to use it in AutoCAD as our customer doesn't use it either.

Thinking the solution may be more round trying to automate all the fixes we need to make. I am not a coder but think some of it might be repetative enough to find a way to do it.

Login to Give a bone

Hopefully you'll find a solution. If you need specific automation help, remember we have the programming forums or even the AutoCAD customization forum. I'd provide those as links, but I believe you can find them.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt