Thread: Make a specific dimension style not print?

Login to Give a bone

Question Make a specific dimension style not print?

Hello,

I want to make a dim style not print because I need to see them for the information to put in a text line. Before I am accused of trying to Autocad my Revit drawing, here is my problem:

I have room tags, and want true room sizes. I tried to incorporate this for room sizes:
    Room Length: ((Perimeter / 2) - sqrt((Perimeter / 2) ^ 2 - 4 * Area)) / 2
    Room Width: Area / Room Length

This works great if you have only 4 walls to deal with. All of my rooms have jogs or little entrances, causing the calculations to be skewed and not truly reflect ACTUAL room widths and lengths. Then I think maybe I can try to alter the room boundaries with room separators (to create a simple rectangle of the longest length and longest width) but that causes the calculations to not work at all.

So my next move is to scrap the formulas, and overwrite "room number" with written room sizes. I need the dimensions to know that that is, but I don't want the dimensions to print. I know I can hide them by selecting all in my view, and hide element, but then I am toggling back and forth in all my views, which I am hoping to avoid because it seems like a simple thing, to make a dimension style to not print by style....

Anyway, is this at all possible? And if not, I ask what are my options for this issue?
    >Is there any other way to get Revit to report ACTUAL room dimensions by wall association?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Make a specific dimension style not print?

Might consider THIS POST's approach. I've also seen people use detail family that they can stretch in X/Y to mark the length and width of a room. The annotation family has parameters that display the X/Y (length) dims but they format it to look like a "tag".

Revit doesn't acknowledge the notion of non-printing annotation. If you want annotation for internal use you can use a working view and place those in that view, which won't get printed. Detail Item families can be filtered (turned off) so non-printing notes could be configured as detail item families.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Make a specific dimension style not print?

I recently discovered a series of videos Paul Aubin did on Lynda.com about options for including room Length & Width in a Room Tag. If you have access to Lynda.com, these are worth checking out (particularly the third with a Dynamo solution).

(Check with your local library system to see if they have a subscription to Lynda.com for library card holders).