Thread: Have you linked a point cloud to a Revit model on BIM 360?

Login to Give a bone

Default Have you linked a point cloud to a Revit model on BIM 360?

I'm trying to link a point cloud to a Revit model hosted to BIM 360 and having no luck. When I upload the .rcp file to the project hub it displays with a broken file icon and tells me the file failed to process. It shows up eventually on my desktop connector but when I try to link the point cloud to the Revit model it tells me that it can't find the file or it may be corrupt. The path that shows up in the manage links dialog box shows a location on my computer instead of the usual BIM 360 path. Has anybody had any luck getting a point cloud to link to a BIM 360 model?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Have you linked a point cloud to a Revit model on BIM 360?

I was able to do it, but I had to insert it into a revit model and upload the revit model and then link the revit model into my project.
    Not sure if anyone else can see it, but I know it works when I do it.
    No desktop connector or anything like that. Just linked in to a blank revit project.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

When linking point clouds became possible in Revit they recommended that the files should be stored locally because of file size. That was even when all the project files were stored on a company's own LAN or WAN. The documentation I've read says it supports hosting them via Autodesk Desktop Connector (think Drop Box for Revit/Adsk) but that seems to contradict their own earlier recommendations.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

We are currently linking many point cloud files from Desktop Connector into a Revit 2019 project successfully, however I did also notice that the path shows a local location, as opposed to a BIM 360 location. This issue is easy for us to overcome because we have a generic computer login that everyone uses, however it did cause problems when somebody used a different login.
    I too did have issues with uploading a couple of point cloud folders to BIM 360 via the web browser and found that uploading via windows explorer was more succussful. We were unable to upload the overall point cloud file (114GB of data), however we were successful with uploading much smaller unified sections (around 300MB max.). Hopefully a similar approach can work for you.

All AUGI, all the time Duncan Lithgow's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I believe the current recommendation is this:
    https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...D694C-htm.html

"To improve performance and reduce network traffic in a worksharing environment, point clouds should be linked from a local location."

I've been told by internal support people that this is mostly because if it's inside Desktop Connector it will be purged after some day (I think he said 3 days) and need to be downloaded from bim360 again. which of course can be quite a problem.