See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Doors in phased project not recognizing rooms

Login to Give a bone

Default Doors in phased project not recognizing rooms

I have a phased project (3 phases) and none of the doors are recognizing the rooms. The error message keeps mentioning there is no room information with the door. I checked the door families and the Door Location in ticked on showing the swing to or from arrow. The arrow is long enough to be in each room. The Door Schedule will show no room name or any"To" or "From" room information.

Room schedule picks up the room names and numbers. I thought maybe the actual rooms need to have the same phase assigned to them as the doors but you cannot assign phases to the rooms.

I have searched various forums but everyone seems to suggest the same thing, make sure the door location tick is on in the door family. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Doors in phased project not recognizing rooms

Rooms only exist in a single phase. A door schedule can show the current phase and past doors but not data for rooms in those other phases unless you have also created a room in all the phases for the schedule to report. For example, existing room 100 will report room data to its existing door in a schedule assigned to the existing phase. In a schedule assigned to the next phase in the project the existing door will no longer report room data unless you create a room in the current phase too (you can use copy/paste aligned to get the existing room into the next phase).

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    Rooms only exist in a single phase. A door schedule can show the current phase and past doors but not data for rooms in those other phases unless you have also created a room in all the phases for the schedule to report. For example, existing room 100 will report room data to its existing door in a schedule assigned to the existing phase. In a schedule assigned to the next phase in the project the existing door will no longer report room data unless you create a room in the current phase too (you can use copy/paste aligned to get the existing room into the next phase).
    Thank you Steve. I had some helpful information posted on another forum and I think I found the solution to my challenges with the doors and phasing. For the doors themselves, what you are saying makes sense. I was thinking if you select on the last phase and select show all in the schedule, you would see all of the doors in the schedule but that is not the case. I think what you are suggesting will fix that so I will try it and let you know.

For the actual door schedule not showing room names, it came down to a dumb user error on my part by not adding a few more field parameters to the schedule. The "to" and "from" fields as well as the "to" and "from" name fields. It has been awhile since I worked in revit in the construction document phase so that one was on me.

One solution that had been presented in other forum post to other users when you do a search is enabling the checkbox in the door family of the door location arrow. It is supposed to show/ tell the door where it is swinging to provide to and from space information. In the reactions from an experience user on that forum, he said the following below:

- It is worth noting that turning on Room calculation point in the door families is not recommended because if an user swaps [Room: From] with [Room: To] in the schedule, the door will flip. If you have Rooms adjacent to the door, the door schedule will recognize them without those arrows.

I had never enabled this feature prior to me learning about it with my problem but it was suggested quite frequently in old posts where other users had door name issues. This post above had me wondering what is the right way to handle this.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Without the Room Calculation Point a door reports the To Room value based on the room the door swings toward (stock content), initial placement. Then afterward if you flip the door to swing toward the other room its To Room value does not change (when viewed in a schedule). The logic they used for this is: A door does not always define its ownership by the room the door swings toward. A door for a classroom that must swing out toward a corridor because of occupancy codes is still regarded as belonging to the classroom, not the corridor.

That changes when the Room Calculation Point is active. The ownership (To Value) of the door changes (when viewed in a schedule) to whichever room it swings toward (Room Calculation Point direction). Also changing the To or From Values in a schedule view will also flip/change the door swing (facing) we see in model views.

The orientation of a door family is influenced by the creator and as such you may encounter doors that work differently. The stock doors are built in the same way (swing orientation and hinge location) so they are consistent when you change types and flip swing (facing).
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2020-02-19 at 06:07 PM.

Login to Give a bone

As Steve mentioned, some door families (non-stock) are created with separate Frame and Separate Panel families that are loaded into an "Assembly". Using this method, it doesn't matter which way the door swings and you're going to schedule the assembly and not the panel. With this method you can use the same family to and just change which room it's reading as "From Room" without flipping the door swing. We ran into this problem where people were changing the associated room and the swing would flip. Now that we've modified our doors we no longer need to do that.
    Most of the time we want to associate the door with the room you're walking out of. Except when you have a closet or a toilet room in a patient room.