See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Software used to create AutoCAD toolbar buttons

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Question Software used to create AutoCAD toolbar buttons

I create my custom buttons in the CUI's Button Editor.
    How are the original, well defined, toolbar graphics buttons created (with what graphic software)?
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Software used to create AutoCAD toolbar buttons

Draw a square in AutoCAD, Zoom Extents, drag the edges of the screen together to fit the square shape, and draw your graphics filling the square using polylines thick enough so they'll still be visible when shrunk down to icon size.
    Put the square on a frozen layer, save the drawing as you may need to modify it later, use the PNGOUT command to save it as a PNG file, open the Free Online Photo Editor https://www7.lunapic.com/editor/ Upload the PNG file, click Transparent, switch the Mode to Transparent Color, pick the area whose color you want to be transparent, click [Apply], and click Save below the image. Use colors that will display on either light or dark backgrounds.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Beauford View Post
    ... use the PNGOUT command to save it as a PNG file....
    Reminds me that I still haven't published the PNGOUTT (PNGOUT Transparent) app we worked on.

... open the Free Online Photo Editor https://www7.lunapic.com/editor/ Upload the PNG file, click Transparent, switch the Mode to Transparent Color, pick the area whose color you want to be transparent, click [Apply], and click Save below the image. Use colors that will display on either light or dark backgrounds.
    I actually use GIMP, which is also free, to create 1000x1000 PNG images with transparency and let AutoCAD re-size the icons automagically for me.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    Reminds me that I still haven't published the PNGOUTT (PNGOUT Transparent) app we worked on.
    I didn't mention it, but now that you've brought it back up people are going to be looking for it. You're going to have to publish it now.
    I'll be the first to give it a top rating. Love how it's a quick one step process that even knows to save it in the Custom Icon Location saved in Options.

Login to Give a bone

I didn't mention it, but now that you've brought it back up people are going to be looking for it. You're going to have to publish it now.
    I'll be the first to give it a top rating. Love how it's a quick one step process that even knows to save it in the Custom Icon Location saved in Options.
    Thanks, Tom; for those that want some point of reference to what we're talking about, I had developed a .NET app to grant this wish and Tom was incredibly helpful in testing it out, before we got to a usable product:

https://forums.augi.com/showthread.p...=1#post1338367

[Edit] - Having a kid really cut into my free time; lil' BlackBox Jr has been a handful since he was born a month early as a 7lb-7oz preemie (perfectly healthy; no NICU, just early).

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

I have been using Photoshop to create my icons and save them out to BMP files and when creating the commands in the CUI import the image. See attached PNG file. You can find images on the web to use and/or create your own and they come out looking a lot sharper than using the default icon editor in CAD.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I actually use GIMP, which is also free, to create 1000x1000 PNG images with transparency and let AutoCAD re-size the icons automagically for me.
    IT installed GIMP on our previous PCs, I've tried many free image editors over the years including paint.net but the free online ones like OIE and LUNAPIC that don't require having someone from IT with permissions to install it for me or justify the cost satisfy my needs since I'm most comfortable drawing them in AutoCAD anyway.

[Edit] - Having a kid really cut into my free time; lil' BlackBox Jr has been a handful since he was born a month early as a 7lb-7oz preemie (perfectly healthy; no NICU, just early).
    Congratulations🎈🧠While working a four day week I spent Fridays assisting in my son's kindergarten class, coached him in flag football, baseball, and soccer more seasons than I can count and even helped coach his high school baseball team. Enjoy every moment, plenty of us will always have fond memories of being where you are now.

Login to Give a bone

IT installed GIMP on our previous PCs, I've tried many free image editors over the years including paint.net but the free online ones like OIE and LUNAPIC that don't require having someone from IT with permissions to install it for me or justify the cost satisfy my needs since I'm most comfortable drawing them in AutoCAD anyway.
    Ahhh... I always forget to mention that I am our IT Admin here, so I give everyone local admin rights... err, enough rope to do what they like. Haha

If they come up with something better, great - I encourage them share it, under the pretense that disagreement is good, as right or wrong, we all learn something from it - if they goof off, drunk with too much freedom, they hang themselves.

Congratulationsí ¼í¾ˆí ¾í· While working a four day week I spent Fridays assisting in my son's kindergarten class, coached him in flag football, baseball, and soccer more seasons than I can count and even helped coach his high school baseball team. Enjoy every moment, plenty of us will always have fond memories of being where you are now.
    Thanks, Tom!

With this virus situation, I'm actually still working remotely from home, which is really nice being that mama is on maternity leave. To try and give mama a break, I'll work whilst lil' guy is strapped to me in my TBG Haha (#DadLife; Go Army, Beat Navy!)... He's fast asleep as soon as I start humming along to the music I listen to.

Cheers
    Last edited by BlackBox; 2020-03-25 at 04:58 PM.

Computer Specs:

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Dont worry about prem my son was 4 weeks early he is now 36 and 6' 2" tall and not a little guy.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Autocad Toolbars use bitmap graphics, so you can create any bitmap.

Things to bear in mind:

- Button graphics are scaled down so make sure they "look good" at low resolution (16x16,24x24,32x32... pixel)
    - you can use any graphics SW, I prefer paint .net (about $10, or so via Microsoft Store for Win10), but there is e.g. Gimp as well.
    - save your graphic as png with alpha-channel (background transparency)