Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dynamic Block With Attributes and Text Using an IF

Login to Give a bone

Default Dynamic Block With Attributes and Text Using an IF

Hello. Not sure if this is the right forum. I was wondering if it's possible to link text (or something) with an attribute?

Scenario is I have a dynamic block with attributes. The attributes may rearrange depending on orientation, but will always be similar in matches. Meaning "A" will be "1", "B" is "2", and so on. My thought is acting like an IF statement, it this attribute equals "A", then this will be "1". That way I would only have to change half of the text. Not sure if both items have to be attributes or if one is a field or something.

Any thought? I hope that explains it clearly.

Thanks for your help.

Paul

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dynamic Block With Attributes and Text Using an IF

You might want to attach a copy of the block to this thread. It's a little confusing what you want to do.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I don't quite understand either. Although it sounds like attributes with fields as their default values and a Block Table or a LookUp may be your solution.

Login to Give a bone

I was afraid of that. I figured it wouldn't make sense. Since I attached the file I will use that to better explain.

With this block the different phases are shown. VA will always be associated with termination point 4, VB with 5, VC with 6, & VN with 3. Currently I have attributes for each of the items of text. What I was trying to do is sometimes the order of these will be different. So I would like to modify VA, VB, VC, & VN and the numbers would change accordingly. This way this would help eliminate possible mistakes by typing the numbers wrong.

With that said, is there a way to link those together? Do the numbers have to stay as attributes, would they become fields, or is this even possible?

I hope this helps the explanation better. Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

The attached show one possible way to do it. It uses two Lookup parameters and one Lookup action. One parameter is driven by the action of the other. The driving parameter has its grip visible the other does not. The two attributes have field associated to the values of the two Lookup parameters.

I only did it for two of the terminals and only for one of the arrangements.

If the terminal values follow a sequence or only in certain arraignments it may be easier to accomplish this in a block table where you can make one selection to supply all the attribute values.

Login to Give a bone

For your different visibility states, will ABCN always be in the same order for that state? If so, just use multiple text entities for each visibility state.

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by MMccall View Post
    The attached show one possible way to do it. It uses two Lookup parameters and one Lookup action. One parameter is driven by the action of the other. The driving parameter has its grip visible the other does not. The two attributes have field associated to the values of the two Lookup parameters.

I only did it for two of the terminals and only for one of the arrangements.

If the terminal values follow a sequence or only in certain arraignments it may be easier to accomplish this in a block table where you can make one selection to supply all the attribute values.
    MMccall,

Thanks. That was interesting. That's not what I was expecting, but it does accomplish what I wanted. The only thing I don't like about it is not seeing the updates as I'm making the changes and having to regen to see the updates. It seems to be adding a step or two to the process. I'm envisioning some mistakes from other users as this is not the normal way of modifying text in blocks as we're used to doing. I'm sure there would be someone modifying the attributes as normal which would negate the lookup parameters.

I will finish what you started though as I've never used lookup before. Maybe once it's complete I'll feel it and it'll make more sense to me.

Thanks for the block and you're time. Appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe View Post
    For your different visibility states, will ABCN always be in the same order for that state? If so, just use multiple text entities for each visibility state.
    Ed,

Each state may be in different order, and not just reverse order either.

Login to Give a bone

I think I would just use more visibility states. e.g.
    Voltage-Left-ABCN
    Voltage-Left-NABC
    Voltage-Right-ABCN
    Voltage-Right-NABC
    etc.

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe View Post
    I think I would just use more visibility states. e.g.
    Voltage-Left-ABCN
    Voltage-Left-NABC
    Voltage-Right-ABCN
    Voltage-Right-NABC
    etc.
    Thanks. That could work too. Only problem is now going from 6 visibility states to over 20 to choose from because of the different combo possibilities. Although the two you listed are the most common, there may also be NCBA. The good thing with this way is the user doesn't have to worry about typing at all. Going to have to consider this way since this can work too.

Thank you.

Login to Give a bone

Here's another option using a block table to first make a selection for orientation and then branch out to selecting the order. I only built a portion of what the finished table would be. The contents of table could be built within the block editor or built in a spreadsheet and then pasted in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast