See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: New drawing in mm 1:20

Login to Give a bone

Arrow New drawing in mm 1:20

Good evening

Please help, new at drawing to scale and metric! I have a new drawing, is is mm the scale will be 1:20, I started the drawing. set up the units in mm and I am drawing 1 to 1, and I think I will leave in MS since I am not very familiar with PS, am I doing it right? What's the text height and how do I work with the scale factor to have at 1:20

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: New drawing in mm 1:20

Quote Originally Posted by mcescamilla91788492 View Post
    Good evening

Please help, new at drawing to scale and metric! I have a new drawing, is is mm the scale will be 1:20, I started the drawing. set up the units in mm and I am drawing 1 to 1, and I think I will leave in MS since I am not very familiar with PS, am I doing it right? What's the text height and how do I work with the scale factor to have at 1:20
    Hello there and congrats on your first post.

Just to clarify what is usually done in AutoCAD (at least in my over 23 years experience, best practices):
    You draw everything 1:1 in Model Space, and then create your sheet/layout in Paper Space, this layout/title block will be 1:1 (sheet size), and you place viewport(s) in PS with the appropriate scale showing the MS geometry.

So you are thinking in the right direction, you need to set your annotation to match up with your plotted scale.
    Lets say you want 2.5mm text on your plotted drawing, if your annotation and dimensions are in MS, so you take your desired (plotted) text height and multiply it by your desired scale factor.
    2.5mm x 20 = 50mm text height and dimension style settings (dimscale = 50 etc)

You should be starting with metric units, (metric template) acadiso.dwt (or similar).
    2.5mm plotted height is usually what is used in metric in my experience, (but that was just an example)

In your example, while in PS (your layout) you would cut a viewport (command: mview) and set your scale to 1:20.

Of course this is just a small example of how this can be done, AutoCAD allows for lots of options such as annotative text and dimensions that can change with scales.

Hope this helps.