Thread: Using a shared email account for Autodesk Licenses - Ethical Question

Login to Give a bone

Default Using a shared email account for Autodesk Licenses - Ethical Question

We've been working a lot lately on BIM 360 using Collaboration for Revit licenses. We've got a ton of them. I like the process when it works.
    If I remember right, Autodesk frowns (if not forbids) the use of shared email login's.
    So I'm going to throw out the hypothetical question of what one should do (as the administer of the hub) when you get a request from a consultant with an email login that is clearly shared; with the words next to it (instead of a name) says "This is a BIM 360 License that anyone can use". The main reason I have an issue is that it's easy enough to pass licenses between users. It's a pain that they don't float. But hey, just the part of doing business.

Again purely Hypothetical as I'm sure no one would ever consider doing this. But ethically, I find it wrong.

When people would use the Educational version of Cad and you'd get that water mark, I believe Autodesk would typically ask where the drawing came from, since they were the only ones that could remove the watermark.

The other question is, if the Hub Admin adds it, doesn't report it, are they in trouble? I've don't really have time to read the 90 pages of a EULA nor a law degree to figure it out.

Again, just curious what others are thinking about these kinds of things.
    Food for thought.
    Thanks in advance

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Using a shared email account for Autodesk Licenses - Ethical Question

Hi David, my answer is not really regarding the ethical side, but you should be aware that adesk has the ability to monitor how many different locations use the login. This question has come up on the adesk forums since the new policy regarding the end of concurrent network licenses. Can someone get around that by using a share account? In the case of AutoCAD, you can only use it from 3 locations and it has to be a "named user". I assume it would be similar in the case of BIM 360, but I can check.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Using a shared email account for Autodesk Licenses - Ethical Question

Again We don't use them.
    I think I've run into that issue when I was remoted into several different machines at once in different offices.
    The Ethical is just one portion of this equation.
    The other is what happens when the right hand doesn't talk to the left and you get 2 users that try to login to Revit to open a 360 project with the same login and password?
    I've never had it happen as we don't ever need to do it, but I can see where that could corrupt a model in a hurry.
    The Concurrent network licenses is another knife in the back.