See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

View Poll Results: Is your team prepared to work remotely?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • 100% of staff

8 28.57%
  • 75% of staff

10 35.71%
  • 50% of staff

2 7.14%
  • 25% of staff

2 7.14%
  • 0% of staff

5 17.86%
  • We cannot do our work remotely

1 3.57%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Is your team set up for remote work?

Login to Give a bone

Default Poll: Is your team set up for remote work?

I work fully remote, some of my team works partially remote and/or travels a lot. But, some of my team have never worked remotely before and have had some learning curve and some work on IT's part to get them prepared for it.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Poll: Is your team set up for remote work?

I picked 100% because technically we're all gearing up to do that for the very possible chance we will be doing that.

But... we use dropbox for our copies/link to our server, so we can work in AutoCAD locally and sync to our server, but not so much in Revit with Central and Local files.
    We don't use Revit Server or a cloud. And using SSM can be an issue with many people on it creating conflicted copies.

So yes 100% WFH, but limited on what we can work on.

Login to Give a bone

Lucky you. Sadly not yet for my team

Login to Give a bone

There's a couple of us that have thought about it. And I know enough about remote desktop to request our IT company set it up for me. On the other hand, if I don't have direct project work, I could work off a copy of our resource files (which I uploaded to DB last night) and work independently of the server for a short while. Then I'd just have to remember what has to be copied back when I return to the office. Beyond that, nothing is actually "in place" at this time.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    I picked 100% because technically we're all gearing up to do that for the very possible chance we will be doing that.

But... we use dropbox for our copies/link to our server, so we can work in AutoCAD locally and sync to our server, but not so much in Revit with Central and Local files.
    We don't use Revit Server or a cloud. And using SSM can be an issue with many people on it creating conflicted copies.

So yes 100% WFH, but limited on what we can work on.
    We use Google Drive for our server. ... no dwl so we have to keep a central list of all of the files each of us are working on. lol. (except the Google Docs, of course, those support multiple users editing in them at once.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by a_meteni View Post
    Lucky you. Sadly not yet for my team
    My boss hired me as the first employee on the team NOT in California, so I could help cover (he said at the time) the work from the EMEA region... well, now instead he'll have me work on the APAC region. Either way, I still get started 2-4 hours sooner than the West Coast team.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CAtDiva View Post
    There's a couple of us that have thought about it. And I know enough about remote desktop to request our IT company set it up for me. On the other hand, if I don't have direct project work, I could work off a copy of our resource files (which I uploaded to DB last night) and work independently of the server for a short while. Then I'd just have to remember what has to be copied back when I return to the office. Beyond that, nothing is actually "in place" at this time.
    Ah. Good that you're competent and that's possible.

That's how I worked remotely from when I was at the Hospital, because IT security policy was so locked down to comply with HIPAA, etc that hardly anyone was allowed to work remotely. It was quite tedious at times, but, when you've got a sick kid and deadlines, you do what you have to.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Apparently, the WFH issue might be widely adopted to avoid large groups at workplace these days.
    Last edited by a_meteni; 2020-03-14 at 02:13 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    I work fully remote, some of my team works partially remote and/or travels a lot. But, some of my team have never worked remotely before and have had some learning curve and some work on IT's part to get them prepared for it.
    I put down 75% without having any hard numbers to back that up. Historically, my firm has only allowed remote working for salaried staff who have laptops (and even then, it is so that they are not in the office late into the evening, not as a primary location from which work is done), but COVID-19 has them authorizing the option to do so for the next two weeks (as of Friday, our offices were going to remain open for employees who choose to come into the office). It will be interesting to see how well that works out, if significant numbers of people choose to try it. The network and hardware IT staff have been scrambling to set up infrastructure to support it - in recent years we only allow company computers VPN access to the network from the outside. And we still had plenty of issues with being able to effectively work, particularly with Revit. We do have several projects on BIM 360, so staff on those should be able to work from home, assuming they have a robust connection to the internet.

We are using VMware View to create virtual machines and are relaxing our restrictions to enable staff to access projects on our network that way, from their own computers. Even if we wanted to give everyone a company laptop, those are nearly as hard to come by right now as toilet paper or hand sanitizer.

I have a desktop in the office, but was given a laptop to use from home, so I will be able to connect to the office network via VPN and provide AutoCAD and Revit support from home. We will see how long I can stand doing that. One coworker figured I would be in the office on Wednesday, another expects to see me on Tuesday. So I have to last until at least Thursday to prove them both wrong. Kidding aside, we support a sizable number of staff in other offices every day, so the ability to do so is already there. But there are times when it is easier to just walk over and see what the person is doing, in person. Sometimes that is all that is necessary to get the user to do things correctly.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch View Post
    I put down 75% without having any hard numbers to back that up. Historically, my firm has only allowed remote working for salaried staff who have laptops (and even then, it is so that they are not in the office late into the evening, not as a primary location from which work is done), but COVID-19 has them authorizing the option to do so for the next two weeks (as of Friday, our offices were going to remain open for employees who choose to come into the office). It will be interesting to see how well that works out, if significant numbers of people choose to try it. The network and hardware IT staff have been scrambling to set up infrastructure to support it - in recent years we only allow company computers VPN access to the network from the outside. And we still had plenty of issues with being able to effectively work, particularly with Revit. We do have several projects on BIM 360, so staff on those should be able to work from home, assuming they have a robust connection to the internet.

We are using VMware View to create virtual machines and are relaxing our restrictions to enable staff to access projects on our network that way, from their own computers. Even if we wanted to give everyone a company laptop, those are nearly as hard to come by right now as toilet paper or hand sanitizer.

I have a desktop in the office, but was given a laptop to use from home, so I will be able to connect to the office network via VPN and provide AutoCAD and Revit support from home. We will see how long I can stand doing that. One coworker figured I would be in the office on Wednesday, another expects to see me on Tuesday. So I have to last until at least Thursday to prove them both wrong. Kidding aside, we support a sizable number of staff in other offices every day, so the ability to do so is already there. But there are times when it is easier to just walk over and see what the person is doing, in person. Sometimes that is all that is necessary to get the user to do things correctly.
    Good info, and a lot of what I expected, thank you.

My last three companies have issued everyone laptops rather than desktops, whether they were expected to work remotely or not, so luckily there isn't going to be much of a hardware difference for IT to muddle through. Just making sure everyone knows how to connect to the VPN and is properly authorized to do so is keeping them busy, though.

You know, during all of the interviews I've had with facilities all over the region and country, was that they didn't want a remotely-based CAD manager, even if I was willing to pop by for a few days out of the month. Like, really? This is a FACILITY. Do you really think people across my 60 acre campus would come to me in person for help? No, I'd do phone or chat or video meetings. I'd record training to keep on the server, I'd have forms they could fax to help them gather the right data for questions. They were all 'good point, but, it's just a thing from leadership.' Yes, well, leadership can enjoy hiring someone local who doesn't know what they're doing. But, I digress.
    Perhaps this experience will open up employers' eyes, to know their talent pool is a lot bigger when they don't just search in their own zipcode.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

My business and all of my customers are working remote. Currently supporting over 20,000 AEC virtual desktops.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by CAtDiva View Post
    And by the end of tomorrow we'll be 80% capable of working remotely. I get to set up tomorrow morning.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast