See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

View Poll Results: Is your team prepared to work remotely?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • 100% of staff

8 28.57%
  • 75% of staff

10 35.71%
  • 50% of staff

2 7.14%
  • 25% of staff

2 7.14%
  • 0% of staff

5 17.86%
  • We cannot do our work remotely

1 3.57%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Is your team set up for remote work?

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Poll: Is your team set up for remote work?

My team was about 80% until all this happened. Now we are close to 100% and will be at 100% within the week. Of course, the key is not just the technology, it is the ability to communicate. In my specific situation I will be putting out an email saying “this is how you can communicate with me and I can still support you....” with lots of nuances so that the team realizes remote does not mean isolation, it means we’re still a team and they can still get answers faster from me than IT.

Login to Give a bone

Our infrastructure was ready but only now being used for real. Tomorrow is a test remote day for as many as can in prep for the reality when it arrives

Login to Give a bone

I have been working remotely every Friday for the past 5 years using VPN, Teams and SharePoint currently. At my location about 75-80% of about 125 people work remotely a few days a week and some we will not see for over a week depending on there schedules. Our culture has allowed us to work from home. Last Friday our CEO asked the employees who do not need to be in office to work from home for the next 2 weeks which includes our worldwide offices. And that is what I will be doing.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Myers View Post
    My team was about 80% until all this happened. Now we are close to 100% and will be at 100% within the week. Of course, the key is not just the technology, it is the ability to communicate. In my specific situation I will be putting out an email saying “this is how you can communicate with me and I can still support you....” with lots of nuances so that the team realizes remote does not mean isolation, it means we’re still a team and they can still get answers faster from me than IT.
    Ah, good idea on the communication email.
    We recently had a webinar about more effective email crafting. But, with my team, we typically ping in Google chat and if we can't get the idea across in a sentence or two, we do a video chat (video mandated by the client, no telephones or number provided).
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Ah, good idea on the communication email.
    We recently had a webinar about more effective email crafting. But, with my team, we typically ping in Google chat and if we can't get the idea across in a sentence or two, we do a video chat (video mandated by the client, no telephones or number provided).
    Same with us, we use Google G-chat, and Google Meet for meetings.
    Our company email is through Google.

We are 100% remote and there have been some growing pains but working rather well.
    Lots of communication including a morning meeting each day with our department, lots of lap tops and seeing the inside of everyone's houses.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Good info, and a lot of what I expected, thank you.

My last three companies have issued everyone laptops rather than desktops, whether they were expected to work remotely or not, so luckily there isn't going to be much of a hardware difference for IT to muddle through. Just making sure everyone knows how to connect to the VPN and is properly authorized to do so is keeping them busy, though.

You know, during all of the interviews I've had with facilities all over the region and country, was that they didn't want a remotely-based CAD manager, even if I was willing to pop by for a few days out of the month. Like, really? This is a FACILITY. Do you really think people across my 60 acre campus would come to me in person for help? No, I'd do phone or chat or video meetings. I'd record training to keep on the server, I'd have forms they could fax to help them gather the right data for questions. They were all 'good point, but, it's just a thing from leadership.' Yes, well, leadership can enjoy hiring someone local who doesn't know what they're doing. But, I digress.
    Perhaps this experience will open up employers' eyes, to know their talent pool is a lot bigger when they don't just search in their own zipcode.
    What a week (and it's only Thursday!). On Monday, we were slammed with support requests, and supposedly 200 people still were in the office. Monday afternoon, the mayor of Philadelphia requested/ordered that all non-essential business employees stay home; Tuesday made Monday seem easy. Our whole infrastructure was set up to support nearly everyone on-premise, with maybe, at any given time, no more than 20 people VPN'ing in from the outside. Our fastest, widest pipe to the internet was for outgoing traffic. Overnight, the numbers more than flipped, with hundreds of people (a mix of people with company laptops/surfaces and personal devices) trying to get access from the outside. The VPN was getting maxed out and the VMware View virtual machines were crashing for even modestly sized Revit models. The network IT people were scrambling to deploy direct VPN access to each office (which was in the works, but deployed early), rather than having all VPN coming to Philadelphia and modifying the VMware setup for those who had an in-office desktop to connect to Remote Desktop to that machine, which proved far more stable. Heavy-duty users with laptops got access to spare in-office machines. The IT team (including the Design Technology support staff) got better organized in dealing with the flood of helpdesk requests, and things calmed down a little on Wednesday and much more on Thursday.

Our Autodesk license usage was almost back to normal levels today, so I hope that means most people are actually able to work.

I am hoping this all gets over sooner, rather than later. I do not have a dedicated room in which to work at home, so there are distractions that add to the stress level. While I am thankful that I already had dual monitors at home, having to use them (and the keyboard) for both my own computer and the loaner laptop from work is less than ideal. Unfortunately, the space available does not make using the laptop's built-in keyboard viable. If this were to become the new normal, I would have to reconfigure things and carve out a dedicated space with a better arrangement of equipment.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch View Post
    What a week (and it's only Thursday!). On Monday, we were slammed with support requests, and supposedly 200 people still were in the office. Monday afternoon, the mayor of Philadelphia requested/ordered that all non-essential business employees stay home; Tuesday made Monday seem easy. Our whole infrastructure was set up to support nearly everyone on-premise, with maybe, at any given time, no more than 20 people VPN'ing in from the outside. Our fastest, widest pipe to the internet was for outgoing traffic. Overnight, the numbers more than flipped, with hundreds of people (a mix of people with company laptops/surfaces and personal devices) trying to get access from the outside. The VPN was getting maxed out and the VMware View virtual machines were crashing for even modestly sized Revit models. The network IT people were scrambling to deploy direct VPN access to each office (which was in the works, but deployed early), rather than having all VPN coming to Philadelphia and modifying the VMware setup for those who had an in-office desktop to connect to Remote Desktop to that machine, which proved far more stable. Heavy-duty users with laptops got access to spare in-office machines. The IT team (including the Design Technology support staff) got better organized in dealing with the flood of helpdesk requests, and things calmed down a little on Wednesday and much more on Thursday.

Our Autodesk license usage was almost back to normal levels today, so I hope that means most people are actually able to work.

I am hoping this all gets over sooner, rather than later. I do not have a dedicated room in which to work at home, so there are distractions that add to the stress level. While I am thankful that I already had dual monitors at home, having to use them (and the keyboard) for both my own computer and the loaner laptop from work is less than ideal. Unfortunately, the space available does not make using the laptop's built-in keyboard viable. If this were to become the new normal, I would have to reconfigure things and carve out a dedicated space with a better arrangement of equipment.
    WOW, that's a lot of excitement going on there, David! hope the license usage is a good sign.

My supervisor currently lives in SF (she's moving this weekend, out of California), so she and her wife and both of their roommates have all been working from home in their apartment. Not ideal, perching laptops on dressers but, they've managed to make it work.

Coworkers on our Yammer site are asking for ideas on how to keep their young child entertained while both parents are trying to work from home. I suggested Cosmic Kids Yoga and scheduling video chats with relatives in other households, who could try reading or playing games with the littles in a bit of virtual babysitting. Still provides movement and personal attention for the kiddo.
    Have heard about couples doing flexible hours, with one parent waking up early and getting some work done, then caring for the kids while the other parent works. Not always possible when you've got meetings or are working more than 40 hours in a week, but, might help for some.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch View Post
    ... The VPN was getting maxed out and the VMware View virtual machines were crashing for even modestly sized Revit models. The network IT people were scrambling to deploy direct VPN access to each office (which was in the works, but deployed early), rather than having all VPN coming to Philadelphia and modifying the VMware setup for those who had an in-office desktop to connect to Remote Desktop to that machine, which proved far more stable. ...
    Saying. This. For. Years. Haha
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Shaan Hurley posted some resources, and I think this is a nice list.

https://peoplepractices.fb.com/wp-co...-Work-Tips.pdf
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

We made it to the end of the second week. An email from on high has extended the work from home "for the forseeable future". And here I thought this was all going to be over before Easter.

This week was much closer to normal, in terms of support request volume. Still frustrating when trying to provide support and the technology refuses to cooperate. TeamViewer is wonderful (way better than Skype for Business), but there have been several occasions where it would not connect. We are also expanding our hours of support coverage to accommodate those working non-traditional hours as they try to juggle work and family while all stuck at home.

I have a lower minimum daily requirement for social interaction than most people, but even I find the current situation difficult. But I am thankful that I remain employed, when so many others have been laid off because their jobs cannot be done remotely (teachers, waitresses, entertainers, etc.).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast