Thread: Polar Array column distance

Login to Give a bone

Question Polar Array column distance

I'm trying to make a crosswalk block and I have set up a polar array but as I rotate the array the objects get closer together. How can I keep the column distance to be 2' feet apart horizontally? I'm not attached to a polar array, I just want to be able to stretch the array across an intersection and if the walking path is at an angle I need them to just move straight down to go with the angle. So if there is another parameter/action that accomplishes this please let me know. Thanks in advance!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Polar Array column distance

Try using an ArrayPath within the block. Draw a line within the block to use as the path and convert it into a Construction line. Start it at 0,0,0. Add a Point Parameter with a Move action to move the other end. Use this construction line as the path for the Arraypath for the crosswalk bars. The bars will align with the construction line path.

Another option, use a dashed polyline with a global width for the width of the crosswalk. Adjust the linetype scale as needed to get the spacing right. You can either copy this to new location as needed or put it in a block and use a point parameter and move action to adjust the length/angle. This method will be subject the scale changes and may not fit your need.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the suggestions, pline won't because of the scaling issue.

I tried your first suggestion and had to add a rotate action/parameter but it rotates the whole thing. I need it look/behave like
    the screenshot. I need the bars to always be upright in relation to rotating within the block itself, then just rotate the entire block itself to align with the curb.

I'm trying to put all the existing crosswalks in quickly and need to line them up with existing sidewalk ramps, ramps and sidewalks that have weird angles and
    sometimes make no sense whatsoever.

crosswalk 2.png

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Sorry about that. I forgot to mention that the arraypath has a property to say if the object being arrayed will align with the path or hold their original orientation.

There is a slight glitch to this. The alignment setting seems to only work beyond the first segment in the geometry line. So, I made the first segment of it 0.001 units long.

Attached is a sample.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

cool, really neat. get's a bit wonky when the angle starts to deviate very from from the base direction, but will save time