Thread: imported excel table goes wonky

Login to Give a bone

Default imported excel table goes wonky

Trying to import a table from Excel, using Paste Special to AutoCAD Entities.uisually this works reasonable well, and gives me something usable I can deliver to clients without worrying.

this one however, the data is getting scrambled to heck and gone.. usable layout in excel is scattered across mutliple columns and rows. top imae is in excel, lower one is after doing spaste-special as autocad entities. Pasting as Excel does woork, byt doesn't look like the rest of the set and won't make my clients happy.

Civil3d 2019.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: imported excel table goes wonky

The AutoCAD TABLE Object just isn't capable of recreating the contents of complicated Excel sheets and the stock functionality is less than optimal.

Here is a graphic example http://www.dotsoft.com/files/xl2cad-vs-tables.gif of what can happen. Anyway given your long history I've got something that WILL make your clients happy http://www.dotsoft.com/xl2cad.htm, check your email.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks !!
    seems like the biggest issue was with soft returns in the excel cells. Worked fine for the details column, but fubared after that. dumping soft returns helped, but three random double quotes in the beginning and end of some (not all) text strings.

< Rantmode=on> when tables first came out a decade and a half ago, they were the bee's knees as far as new features. pity that no-one in Adesk seems to understand that drafting annotation is neither word processing, nor spreadsheets, and that their customers _need_ to work with other applications and integrate the output of those applications into contract and construction documents. Neither MText, MLeaders, nor Tables show much improvement (and don't even get me started on linetype handling #%*^^%&#!#!%&!~~!!!! (rantmode=off>

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

[QUOTE=cadtag;1345719]Thanks !!
    seems like the biggest issue was with soft returns in the excel cells. Worked fine for the details column, but fubared after that. dumping soft returns helped, but three random double quotes in the beginning and end of some (not all) text strings.

< Rantmode=on> when tables first came out a decade and a half ago, they were the bee's knees as far as new features. pity that no-one in Adesk seems to understand that drafting annotation is neither word processing, nor spreadsheets, and that their customers _need_ to work with other applications and integrate the output of those applications into contract and construction documents. Neither MText, MLeaders, nor Tables show much improvement (and don't even get me started on linetype handling #%*^^%&#!#!%&!~~!!!! (rantmode=off>[/QUOTE

I would have to agree its a pity that Autodesk doesn't understand that not everyone has the same work flow. It's even more of a pity considering the cost of their products that they can't seem to maintain an improving product. It seems that Autodesk has now become the Non responsive Industrial giant that only tells you what to do and do it their way or your wrong. We all have our individual work flows the same as many of us have a differing clientele with different needs. But then that is the way it goes someday some young start up will come along and have a better cheaper product then Autodesk will go the way of Kodak.