Thread: drawing foundation plan on uneven surface

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default drawing foundation plan on uneven surface

Can anyone direct me to a good tutorial on how do draw a residential foundation on a building site that is 6' or so out of level?
    I would like to be able to have the footings below the uneven surface and have foundation pinup walls project from there up to a level floor.
    I know I can create workarounds for making this appear to be right but I would like it to be the real deal 3 dimensionally.
    I am able to generate topography on a lot but, as one example, if I were to cut sections at certain parts of the building, I would like to correctly illustrate
    the submerged footing at that point and the height of the wall to the floor above.
    Thank You.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: drawing foundation plan on uneven surface

Quote Originally Posted by vanderloo5 View Post
    Can anyone direct me to a good tutorial on how do draw a residential foundation on a building site that is 6' or so out of level?
    I would like to be able to have the footings below the uneven surface and have foundation pinup walls project from there up to a level floor.
    I know I can create workarounds for making this appear to be right but I would like it to be the real deal 3 dimensionally.
    I am able to generate topography on a lot but, as one example, if I were to cut sections at certain parts of the building, I would like to correctly illustrate
    the submerged footing at that point and the height of the wall to the floor above.
    Thank You.
    Are you talking about stepped footings under a concrete wall?
    If so you simply edit the wall profile (step the bottom of the profile while in a section or elevation view) and the footing steps automatically at the bottom.

Login to Give a bone

The wall footing tool will connect to the bottom of the wall. Just model the walls where you want them and add the footing.
    To make the step footing you'll need to create a foundation family that you can connect which follows typical 2:1 plus slope rules and overlap.
    The bottom can't slope. It needs to be set. So no need to "edit profile" simply set the bottom offset where you need it depending on frost depth so the bottom of wall is below the frost line. At least that's the best practice.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    The wall footing tool will connect to the bottom of the wall. Just model the walls where you want them and add the footing.
    To make the step footing you'll need to create a foundation family that you can connect which follows typical 2:1 plus slope rules and overlap.
    The bottom can't slope. It needs to be set. So no need to "edit profile" simply set the bottom offset where you need it depending on frost depth so the bottom of wall is below the frost line. At least that's the best practice.
    Good advice, I must have been doing it wrong.
    I have been editing the wall profile (stepping the bottom of the wall down 2:1 etc, and the footing just stepped. But it didn't overlap as you mentioned.
    It met the needs of the drawings for what I was doing, I'll need to look into that I guess.

Login to Give a bone

I wouldn't say you were doing it wrong. It worked for what you need.
    After 13yrs of modeling foundations you start to realize you're contractors use your model for concrete volumes. So you need to be a little more accurate. Regardless of what kind of rules you set for the contractors use of the model.
    First revit project we did we didn't bother to add the taper to to the concrete beams and joists in a pan joist building. They were a little ****** by the time they figured out they were really short on their concrete volumes. We learned pretty quick after that.
    Model it like you build it as I say.