Thread: Project north vs True north - Project Basepoint and Survey Point Y-Axis's points to?

Login to Give a bone

Default Project north vs True north - Project Basepoint and Survey Point Y-Axis's points to?

I was wondering if I'm correct in stating that the project basepoint Y-axis ALWAYS points to project north, and the Survey Point Y-axis ALWAYS points to true north?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Project north vs True north - Project Basepoint and Survey Point Y-Axis's points to?

The icons for each coordinate system are always oriented with their own systems, which may or may not be oriented correctly with your project or its site.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Project north vs True north - Project Basepoint and Survey Point Y-Axis's points to?

Thanks for the reply Steve. However whether or not they're correctly rotated and oriented in the project yet, I believe the the Y-axis for both the Project Basepoint and Survey Point, will ALWAYS point to their Project North and True North directions respectively. Obviously when you start a project, they both point up in the same direction, but I wanted to make sure for the sake of opening future projects and being able to quickly see where PN and TN are just by looking at the Y-axis of both the PBP and SP.

Login to Give a bone

When you start a project, the property map will include the True North (normally aligned with Y-axis direction). The property major axis will never be 100% aligned with True North and It is very difficult to do any kind of design if everything is at an odd angle! So we align the project north with the Y-axis to simplify the design process.
    It is normal to include the project North and the True North on the project Plot Plan along with the angle of declination.