See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Recap Hardware For Speed

Login to Give a bone

Default Recap Hardware For Speed

I've recently been tasked with cleaning up point cloud data (terabytes of it), mainly for processing speed (currently "an issue", saying it's taking weeks). The ultimate goal is to process these clouds pretty much daily looking for changes (very stretch goal), but I've been given a budget to source a PC ($10k, seemingly WAY more than I could ever need), and I want to make this thing purpose built for this specific task.

Anyhow, the primary issue this PC will theoretically resolve is processing these point clouds as quick as possible, as exporting takes a long time. I am currently using a Surface laptop to test some stuff, and it's insanely slow on demo files (obviously), but it appears to be SSD limited.

What is the primary limiting reagent? I see I/O mentioned a lot, but is that RAM, drives, GPU <-> CPU communication? Seems like these issues are resolved by AMDs newest ZEN chips, especially if core speed isn't primarily relevant.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Recap Hardware For Speed

I don't work with point clouds much, but I have done some research. If you're talking about using Recap for processing, all processing is done in the cloud on Autodesk's servers. So hardware isn't an issue. There are other solutions for working with point clouds. Leica has a lot of software. You might talk with them about hardware requirements for their software.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe View Post
    I don't work with point clouds much, but I have done some research. If you're talking about using Recap for processing, all processing is done in the cloud on Autodesk's servers. So hardware isn't an issue. There are other solutions for working with point clouds. Leica has a lot of software. You might talk with them about hardware requirements for their software.
    OMG if this is true, this is a huge problem; there's no way our customers would allow their plant layouts to be stored in the cloud. Everything I read said things were done locally, admittedly could be old information.

Thanks for the info, hopefully it can still be done locally somehow.

Login to Give a bone

The rcp file is the point cloud you can download from Recap. Leica software should be able to handle it.
    C:> ED WORKING....