See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: How to fillet structural members?

All AUGI, all the time cadkiller's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default How to fillet structural members?

Hello Group,

How would you fillet 3" steel pipe structural members?
    I see they have a miter feature.
    I want to have 6" centerline radius to act as elbows.
    I attached a screen shot for you to see.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Annotation 2020-05-06 213923.jpg

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to fillet structural members?

I was able to use the apply tool properties to linework to get it to work, but it's a structural member from my design tool catalog which doesn't have the size pipe I need.
    I am able to get the proper pipe size from my structural member catalog, but don't have the option to apply tool properties to linework or figure out how to fillet them.
    Is there a way to add custom profiles to my design tool catalog?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

The out-of-the-box tool palette tools are provided more as an example of what can be done, than as a full set of the provided content.

Once you have defined a Structural Member Style for the pipe you need, you can use that as the source for a tool palette tool. You should save the style to a source file that is placed where everyone who needs to use the tool has access, then create the tool from that file.

You will need to decide whether you are going to add to the out-of-the-box style source files and tool palettes/catalogs, or whether you are going to set up separate files/palettes/catalogs for content you create. I always advocate for leaving the out-of-the-box content alone and putting all custom content into separate files which are clearly named/identified as being custom to you/your firm. That makes upgrading to a newer release so much easier. You do not have to try to remember which styles you created, to make certain they move forward, or go to the effort of comparing the source files in the new release to see if there is anything new in them (styles, display settings, etc.), so that does not get lost if you just bring the previous version source files up to the new release. Perhaps not as critical lately, due to the virtual lack of anything new for ACA, but it still makes backing up and bringing forward your customizations easier.

An alternative approach would be to use a tool you do have to convert linework, then select the converted pipe and apply the desired style. If you do not want to get into creating and managing custom tool palette tools, and do not often need to use a pipe size for which there is no tool, that may be the way to go. You could also choose to have a "scratch" tool palette on which you create and delete task-specific tools, using styles in the current drawing (save the file first), if the sizes are more or less one-offs, that will not be used again.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for your reply. I used your alternate approach which worked out.

I appreciate the suggestions regarding content. Do you know of any good tutorials on content creation?

Login to Give a bone

I suppose at some point there may have been something on that. There were more detailed instructions available before the introduction of tool palettes and Content Browser, when you had to create special files that were then accessed through DesignCenter. Tool palette tool creation is a little easier, at least on the surface; just drag from Style Manager and drop on an editable tool palette. I think most of what I know about it is from trial and error, and forum discussions back when AutoCAD Architecture (Architectural Desktop) was still a favored child of Autodesk, and more people were actively involved in the forums.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for detailed explanation which clears all my doubts. thanks for sharing it. Now i am clear about How to fillet structural members