See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Door / Window Schedules & Schedule Tags

Login to Give a bone

Question Door / Window Schedules & Schedule Tags

Greetings,

Does anyone know of a way to create a door or window schedule to where the tag on the door is labeled unique to the size of the door, IE all 2668 Doors are tagged and Labeled with a "A" and all 2868 Doors are "B" etc. Then the schedule would only list the Label (A,B,C etc) and I can run a quantity takeoff of similar door types.?? Will this require a new multi-view blocks??

Thanks in Advance,

Michael

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Door / Window Schedules & Schedule Tags

Check this thread out - I think it might have what you're looking for.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Door / Window Schedules & Schedule Tags

Steve,

Thats only part of my problem.. I'm trying to not only group and get a quantity takeoff all of the same window type together, but also identify them as a single ID number. So if I have (3) 5020 FIXED windows they all have the same tag identifier. And all of the other windows that are different will have there own unique identifier. Any more thoughts??

Thanks,

Mike

Login to Give a bone

Do not use an auto incrementing property for the identifier of your objects. You can either

1. Take the current property and change it to either a text type [if you want to use any character] or integer [if you will use only whole numbers to identify your types]. Advantage: You can use existing tags. Disadvantage: Confusion when dealing with existing files which already have the PSD with the old version in it, as well as when you upgrade to newer releases.

2. Add a new manual property for your identifier, of text or integer type. Make a copy of the tag file, rename the Multi-View Block tag and its view block[s], then edit the tag of the attribute tag that displays the identifier in each view block to reference the new property. [Ideally, you would copy the Property Set Definition under a new name for ease in identifying it as your custom version and bringing it forward to new releases. That will require updating all related Schedule Tags and Schedule Table Styles, to coordinate with the customized PSD name.] Advantage: Easily identify as "your" customization and bring forward to new releases. Disadvantage: More up front work, but, IMO, worth it.

If you want each identifier to represent a given type and size, and if you can set up a separate style for each type and size, you could create your identification property in a a style-based Property Set and the style would carry the identifier for you.

If you have multiple sizes per style, but still want a unique identifier for each unique style/size combination, then using a style-based property for the identifier will not work directly. Depending upon how you want your identifiers to be formatted, a style-based property identifying the basic type, along with a formula property to concatenate that with something unique to a particular size could be used. Otherwise, you will have to manually assign the identifier to each item to be scheduled.

As mentioned in the thread referenced by Steve, you will need to make certain that all of the information in each column of your schedule is identical, as a quantity column will "collapse" only completely identical lines.

Login to Give a bone

Michael, I've attached a drawing for you to take a look at. Is this the results you're trying to get with your schedules and tags?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Door / Window Schedules & Schedule Tags

OK.. Been busy.. sorry for the delay.

Arcadia I looked at the drawing and its not what I was looking for.

I want to be able to have one door style with standard sizes I can choose from. Then identify the doors on the floor plan with a tag with a place for a single letter that will identify that door with similar size doors in the drawing. So all 2668 door tags would be door type "A" and 2468 door tags would have a tag of "B" and so on. So when you look at the drawing schedule you would have Door Tag Id listed with the quantity and then the size.

I see its possible with what Dkoch was saying I was hoping I wouldn't have to do with separate door styles for different sizes of doors.

If anyone know of a better way that I can have the software do the work for me??

Thanks,

Mike

Login to Give a bone

If you have a known set of standard sizes and you will always use the same letter designation for a given size - and can accept the possibility that a particular project may have a "A", "B", "D" and "G" doors, then you could set up a formula property [using the Select Case branching construct] that would set the correct identifier.

Code:

Select Case [DoorObjects:HeightUnformatted]
       Case 80
    	  Select Case [DoorObjects:WidthUnformatted] 
    		 Case 36
    			RESULT = "A"
    		 Case 42
    			RESULT = "B"
    		 Case 44
    			RESULT = "C"
    		 Case 48
    			RESULT = "D"
    		 Case Else
    			RESULT = "XXX"
    	  End Select
       Case 84
    	  Select Case [DoorObjects:WidthUnformatted]
    		 Case 36
    			RESULT = "N"
    		 Case 42
    			RESULT = "O"
    		 Case 44
    			RESULT = "P"
    		 Case 48
    			RESULT = "Q"
    		 Case Else
    			RESULT = "XXX"
    	  End Select
    End Select

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Door / Window Schedules & Schedule Tags

Dkoch..

That would work!!! Now the next question is how do you use attached the code?? I've never done this..

Mike

Login to Give a bone

You would put that in a formula property in a Property Set Definition [PSD] that you are attaching to your doors. If you choose to put it into the DoorObjects PSD, the property references would not have the "DoorObjects:" prefix. Note also that you can not just type in a reference to another property, you must select them from the lower window when creating/editing your formula; when done properly, a property reference will appear in bold type.

You can read more about the use of unformatted properties in an article I posted to my blog back in January titled "Unformatted" Properties for Formulas. That article has a link to Scott Arvin's Brain Dump on the automatic properties that were added with the release of ADT2004. I would highly recommend that you download that file and read it [along with the information in the Help file] before tackling your first formula property.