Thread: BIM: Go - No Go policy

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Post BIM: Go - No Go policy

My company is looking to create a policy for when we should use BIM on a project. Does anyone have any standards when BIM should be implemented on a project or have a check list for BIM?

Thanks for the help.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: BIM: Go - No Go policy

Quote Originally Posted by jaredgraffagnino789818 View Post
    My company is looking to create a policy for when we should use BIM on a project. Does anyone have any standards when BIM should be implemented on a project or have a check list for BIM?

Thanks for the help.
    Welcome and Congrats on your first post!
    This is a very good question and I would be interested to hear what other companies do too.
    I know of some companies that went full Revit a few years back, like every project unless native CAD was required.

For the company I work for it depends on the size of the project and sometimes a required deliverable.
    We do lots of small quick projects to existing structures and buildings that don't merit creating an existing condition model to do some renovations so we use AutoCAD.

We also do bigger more complex buildings in Revit that require lots of inter discipline coordination.
    And we also use Navisworks for clash detection and for the engineers to spin around the model for reference.
    Sometimes the client requires a Revit model

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaredgraffagnino789818 View Post

Thanks for the help.
    I'll try not to get too far into the weeds on this, but the question is less "when to use BIM", but rather which software do we use to get the I & M we need for a specific project. I'm working my way through the "Becoming a BIM Coordinator" learning path on Lynda.com/LinkedIn Learning, starting with "BIM Foundations", which helped remind me that BIM is a bigger picture concept than just "do we use ACAD or Revit"? Ultimately I came away from that lesson with the idea to ask, "What BIM Uses are needed on a project?", which leads to the question: "Which software(s) should we use on this project?" (And yes, more often than not the question is still, "ACAD or Revit?", but they pay use to have a deeper understanding than that before we answer the question.)

That said, here are the questions I recommend considering to make a choice between Revit or ACAD (very similar to what tedg, just stated differently):
    1) What is the scope of the project?
    a) New construction, remodel, etc.?
    b) If new construction, Revit all the way.
    c) If remodel: what files will we get for a base drawing (DWG, PDF, hardcopy, etc.)?
    i) If PDF or hardcopy, the time to create the background is equivalent in Revit or ACAD. If DWG, then more questions need to be asked.
    ii) How much of the 3-dimensional aspect of the building will you need?
    d) If remodel, how extensive is the remodel?
    i) If it's a small space and you have DWGs (assuming you already have set protocols in ACAD), then the time to recreate even part of the plan in Revit is likely not worth it.
    ii) If it's more extensive, then it can be worth creating an "existing" model in Revit.

All AUGI, all the time thomas.stright's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

A huge percentage(98%+) of our projects have BIM required by contract.