See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Changing Formatting from Manufacturer's Details to Mine

Login to Give a bone

Default Changing Formatting from Manufacturer's Details to Mine

I just joined your group a few minutes ago and found your thread. I have a question regarding manufacturer's details drawn with different Layers/Lineweights/Colors than what I use. I've tried copying the manufacturer's details into my current configuration, and want to change or rename their format in the Layer Properties Manager? It won't let me delete their layers, and I want to pare down from 20 layers (manufacture's details) to 10 (mine)? Any help would be sincerely appreciated

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Changing Formatting from Manufacturer's Details to Mine

Quote Originally Posted by dave790221 View Post
    I just joined your group a few minutes ago and found your thread. I have a question regarding manufacturer's details drawn with different Layers/Lineweights/Colors than what I use. I've tried copying the manufacturer's details into my current configuration, and want to change or rename their format in the Layer Properties Manager? It won't let me delete their layers, and I want to pare down from 20 layers (manufacture's details) to 10 (mine)? Any help would be sincerely appreciated
    Hello there and welcome to AUGI!
    Have you looked into Layer Translator? (command "laytrans")

Run this while you're in the drawing you're trying to convert.
    This allows you to load a template or drawing of your choice and map the existing layers to ones you choose, you can map several layers to the same new layer, force entities to ByLayer, all kinds of stuff.
    Look at your settings too, you can choose what happens.

Also, if you expect to use this over and over, you can save the file to a ".dws" and reload it (another file you can "load" for mapping) and it does the mapping for you again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    Hello there and welcome to AUGI!
    Have you looked into Layer Translator? (command "laytrans")

Run this while you're in the drawing you're trying to convert.
    This allows you to load a template or drawing of your choice and map the existing layers to ones you choose, you can map several layers to the same new layer, force entities to ByLayer, all kinds of stuff.
    Look at your settings too, you can choose what happens.

Also, if you expect to use this over and over, you can save the file to a ".dws" and reload it (another file you can "load" for mapping) and it does the mapping for you again.

Hi Ted,
    Thanks for getting back to me with an answer. I wasn't sure my question was explained very well. I tried to download your attachment on the Layertrans image, but it kept taking me back to the main screen at AUGI? I'll give this a try with AutoCAD 2014 and see how it works. Best!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dave790221 View Post
    Hi Ted,
    Thanks for getting back to me with an answer. I wasn't sure my question was explained very well. I tried to download your attachment on the Layertrans image, but it kept taking me back to the main screen at AUGI? I'll give this a try with AutoCAD 2014 and see how it works. Best!
    Hello there Dave,
    The image I had attached was just a screen shot of what the layer translator interface looks like.
    While you're in AutoCAD, hit the F1 key and it should bring you to the 'help menu and search for "layer translator", that will explain it.
    Also check this link out: https://autodesk.blogs.com/between_t...ranslator.html

Going by what you described, you want to convert existing drawings (done by others) to your layer standards, this will do that quite nicely.

Login to Give a bone

Good morning Ted,
    Thanks again for the help with this. I figured out that I had to log back in to see your screen shot. It worked! I'll give this a try today and appreciate your help