See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nested commands, command during point input

Login to Give a bone

Default Nested commands, command during point input

After issuing a "Line" command in AutoCad the command window/prompt is awaiting a "Point Input". I would like to write something in .NET that would handle user entered text while awaiting a point input command. Does anyone have any ideas?

Christmas May

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Nested commands, command during point input

What do you mean by "handle user entered text"? Do you mean, restrict user input to selecting a point?
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

So while the command window/prompt is awaiting a point input if the user entered "Circle" or "Snap" or a variety of other commands I'm wanting AutoCAD to respond intelligently. By default if this is not a point then AutoCAD does not respond intelligently. If it won't recognize "Commands" then can I write a "custom handler" somehow for specific commands?

Login to Give a bone

So if the LINE command is in progress waiting for a point, you want to cancel the command and start another? That would be the standard "intelligent" way to do it. What else would you want to do? Draw a circle and then resume the LINE command? You can only have one command active at a time. Running osnaps are handled by pressing Shift+RtClk while waiting for a point input.

Login to Give a bone

Yes, exit the "line" command (or whatever command you are currently in) and then perform the next command such as "Circle". Basically I just want a way/method to handle text entered into the command window/prompt while AutoCAD is awaiting a point input. For example while waiting for a point in the "line" command, if I typed "Hello?" Perhaps a message box would appear that responded "Hello" or something similar.

Login to Give a bone

No, you can't program something to wait in the middle of the line command if your code didn't start it. You just have to hit the {ESC} key first, then enter your new command. What you are asking for goes against the standards AutoCAD has used since the beginning. You can build your own LINE command and make allowances, but I wouldn't recommend it. It would be better to train your users on the proper use of AutoCAD.

Login to Give a bone

How would I build my own line command and make allowances?

Login to Give a bone

I don't think that giving you .NET code samples will help you since you aren't familiar with Visual Studio. Using lisp is much simpler. I'll move this thread to the lisp forum for you.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas050873782348 View Post
    After issuing a "Line" command in AutoCad the command window/prompt is awaiting a "Point Input". I would like to write something in .NET that would handle user entered text while awaiting a point input command. Does anyone have any ideas?

Christmas May
    That doesn't make any sense. Are you trying to add a prompt or options for a command? That's easy!
    Why not just figure out what order you want to run commands?

Can you explain better what you're trying to do?

Login to Give a bone

Mr. Ed Jobe,

I've written tens of thousands of lines of code in Excel VBA, Then tired of having others steal my code, I began Creating DLL add-ins for Excel using VB.NET/Visual-Studio. I have since changed jobs and am now faced with customizing/automating AutoCAD. I have probably written less than 500 lines of .NET code for AutoCAD mostly because of my lack of knowledge regarding AutoCAD. With that in mind I haven't written a single line of LISP. Would you be willing to move this thread back to the NET forum and provide an answer to how to build my own "Line command" or something similar that would handle both point and text input intelligently?

Please?

Christmas May

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast